Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Input on Staun beadlocks please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by destinbeachman, Sep 25, 2005.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Anyone here currently running them or having previously used them?Pros or cons from your experience with them would be greatly appreciated.Thanks-Allen

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Stephen at ORD is running them on Wally with some H2 rims.

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I believe Greg72 is running them aswell.

4. FlatBackBlazer

FlatBackBlazer Registered Member

Price

Anybody know how much those are going for and where i can order them? Deffinatly has been on my wish list for quite some time!

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Last I remember seing them being pretty expensive. There were a set for sale in the classifieds, but I don't know if they sold or not.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The set in classifieds got sold, I was after 'em :D

I think they're running for about $200 a piece but I don't know who stocks them.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I ran the staun beadlocks for a little while. They worked very well offroad, but I had problems popping the innertubes. I also K/O'ed a wheel on a big rock. Later on that same rock tangled with one of my allied beadlocks and it fared much better due to the reinforced beadlock ring. If I was buying wheels from scratch, I'd get some traditional beadlocks...however, the other day I was out riding and managed to pop an inner bead loose running 4 psi, it popped right back on as soon as I backed out of the obstacle.

8. destinbeachman

where to get 'em

DesertRat.com has them for my app(17") for 200 each.The reason I'm looking at 'em is twofold.First:they lock both the inner AND outer beads.Second:they are street legal and are said to balance out well.I don't trailer my rig.They ARE expensive but much less than an extra tire and wheel set.On the surface they are an excellent product so I'm just digging a little deeper.
    Thanks for the input-keep it coming-Allen

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am looking at them myself. I will probably put rock rings on my wheels for lip strength and run the staun's. They are a good system.

789 beast- what PSI were you running the staun tubes at? how were they popping?

10. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't running a cheap smaller rubber inner tube and drilling the wheel for a second valve stem be the same and real cheap?

11. destinbeachman

If you use a very small diameter tube(in my case,one that would seal the bead area would need to be about 15 1/2 ID to about 18 1/2 OD)in order to apply pressure to the tire bead how could air from a second valve get past the sealing inner tube to fill the tire?And how durable would it be?The Staun beadlock tube is extremely well made using ballistic nylon.

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running them. They're great. Really well made and give you good peace of mind when you're running low pressure. They were £100 each over here. Go onto Staun's website. I emailed them and they gave me the number of my nearest dealer but I think they have a dealer locater on the site anyway.
    They're a bit of a pain to fit but well worth the effort. You can't just use a normal inner tube in there. It's a completely different set up. They use a regular tube inside a really tuff nylon case that keeps it flat and pressed out against your beads.

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I run the TireLoc version...

http://www.jdsoffroad.com/store/htmlPage.cfm?page=../install/TireLoc-Install.htm

I've had them for about 3 years now and they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I think Staun is just a copy of the TireLoc design. I'm not sure if they made any "improvements" to it....

I have run as low as 3 psi on 16.5" wheels, and have never blown a bead. I guess that says something about how well they work.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the staun inner tube is kevlar lined... looks a heck of a lot beefier than a normal inner tube... thats prolly the difference.

j

15. destinbeachman

thanks guys

I'm sold. :D

16. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, looks a very similar product.

17. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

Just got a set :D and have to say that the liners seem to be pretty sturdy. The guy that I got them from said that he usually runs about 3 psi and has never lost a bead or had any problems except the need for rock rings for the wheels.

Tommy

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

We use regular tire tubes in vehicles we are performing handling tests on here at work. They help keep the bead on a little more but nowhere near what a true beadlock can do. The main advantage is that if you knock a bead off, or "burp" a tire, it doesn't immediately loose all of the air and the tube can reseat the tire........sometimes. The trouble with a regular tube is that it can't exert that much pressure on the sidewall.........if you have a short one inside the tire if you push on the sidewall it will simply expand elsewhere and not keep pressure on the sidewalls.

19. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

My experience seems to be the norm, the work just fine but I worry a bit about the wheel. In my case, I don't really care since they're $25 H2 rims but modifying them was a pain that I'd rather not go through again. Just to clarify, modifying them for the lock wasn't too bad but I moved the valvestem for the tire also and that was more work.
    I think they'd be great for something that's driven a lot and wheeled some due to the near total lack of maintenance involved and the lack of potential law problems.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

As far as the differences between tireloc and secondair/staun are minimal... but I seem to remember a pirate thread that talked about them both. From what I remember, the secondair guys did essentially "steal" the design, but they did make a couple of minor improvements also... mainly related to trying to make them easier to inflate. Could be wrong. I'd run them on my rig for sure. Only thing I like about normal 2 piece double beadlocks over the Stauns would be the ease of mounting your own tires. That'd be kinda handy. They are heavy and spendy though... never a good combo.

The thing I am trying to figure out is why are the Stauns so $pendy? I'm almost sure I remember Second Air beadlocks being sold in australia for like $169 per wheel... AUSTRALIAN dollars. Now Staun wants $225-250 here in the USA? huh?

j