Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Input on trans temp guage idea please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Jan 28, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm wanting to add a tranny guage to my truck and (like everybody) I'd like to do it as cleanly as possible.

I'm thinking about putting an additional OE water temp guage in the clock hole and using a matching temp sensor in the tranny pan. I figure since aftermarket tranny guages have the same basic temp scale (optimum appears to be +/- 180*) the water temp guage might work well and keep the factory look. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Whatcha think? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Sounds good, but don't the OEM gauges work with the printed circuit and all.

IF you could get the wiring right where it didn't effect anything else and actually worked right it would look nice and clean, I wish I had thought of something like that too.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Yeah, they are supposed to run off of the printed circuit but I have bypassed that before and wired straight to the posts on the back of the guage (did this to the little fuel guage when I installed an OE tach set up in my old K10, worked fine for many years) so that's my plan again.

I'm also wondering if it would be possible to have someone with amazing paint skills erase the original temp symbol and either leave the face all black or add some sort of tranny related symbol.