Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Input shaft oops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I pulled a tcase out of a burban saturday at the local pull a part and thought a 208 is a 208. so I did check the output shaft splines but I did not check the input. Dummaasssss. it is in the Truck and I am now stuck at work with my waif on the way to get me.

I was chasing a bearing vibration that I developed after tearing both ujoints and drive lines out of the truck. it developes at freeway speeds. I hooked up the electronic ears and only heard noise in the tailshaft area. I know on our Rovers at work when a drive line goes it can easily take the tcase out as well so I picked up one. well no while I am sitting here ponering I pulled the old one apart so see if I could find the failure. All the bearings are smooth and in great shape but as I was reassembaling it I noticed slop in the chain. I spun the chain aznd the slop was taken up. There She Is. the Tcase Main shaft is bent. I found the vibration. I was worried that all this head ache and I was chasing a ghost. I will get her up tomorrow with another Tcase. or should i look for a 205?

2. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Ok so you got 2 208's right? Just take your output shaft and put it in the other 208. Or put the other main shaft in your original case. I've had mine all apart and it wasn't that bad. Just be aware and don't "miss place" the bazillion needle bearings on the mainshaft.

3. ssped

it is the main shaft that is bent. I have to pull it out anyways shouldnt I just get another one and slap it in? I did pull her apart and it does not look all that complicated. maybee i will look at her at lunch.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

120 needles

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Rain man.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Nah, I just rebuilt one the other week. It was Ira's, and we did it in the desert so i distinctly remember counting them to be sure that we had not lost any of them

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you only loose the needle bearings if you pull the chain gear off the main shaft, you can swap inputs or swam mainshafts without worring about loosing any needle bearings.
    just take the snap ring off the front output to get that gear off then take the chain off. then your can remove the main shaft. VERY easy.

8. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Ya i'm sure there is a better way than pulling it apart on the tailgate of a truck. But it still sucks putting all those little suckers back in.

Little advice if you have to put them back in, we put a bunch of axle grease on the shaft and stuck them in the grease to hold them to the shaft untill you get them all back on.

9. ssped

Did it

:D I pulled her out and swapped all the best parts into one case. it really was pretty easy to do. I had also trashed the bearing between the input and mainshaft of the old tcase. It was super easy and just took a little patience. I had her back together and running in 2.5 hours. she ran really smooth on the way home and no funny noises. It also quieted down the Clunking from the Detroit. I knew there was a little to much play in somthin.

Now back to lookin for a Dana.