Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insane amount of wheelhop!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lew, Apr 12, 2000.

1. lew

lew Registered Member

Hello again.
    Here is another prob for you all. At the moment my 86 K5 is running stock type shocks. They are all new but very cheap. I will be installing Pro-Comp ES9000's in a couple of weeks with a 4" lift and 33 or 35" tires.
    I live in the nevada deserts. When I go wheeling and try to climb a dune or sandy type hill, mound, as soon as i lose traction the wheel hop starts. It is very bad, I mean the whole truck wants to jump a few inches in the air. This happens with both the front and rear end.
    Is this due to the current crapy shocks and will the new ones help cure this. I have seen some folks run "Kicker Shocks" in the rear. Do these help and do you know who makes them for our blazers. Is there any other way to solve this problem.

Thanks again.

2. Brad

Brad Registered Member

I don't know if they will fix your hopping, but Rancho makes the 'Kicker Shocks'. Their website is (www.gorancho.com).

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The spring pack is usually the cause of wheel hop.
    A good example of this is when you use lift blocks under stock/tired spring packs. The torque makes the week/stressed spring pack turn into an S shape then releases causing the 'hop'.
    Shocks can help but if it is as bad as it sounds new spring packs at all four corners are needed!!
    I had 4"blocks under the stock spring on my 72 and was getting mild hop even with Rancho9000 shocks.
    Then I replaced the blocks and springs with 5 1/2" Superlift spring packs and now no more hop at all!!
    Hope this rambling helps
    Burt4x4

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

"kicker shocks" can help the wheel hop a little, but they won't do much for the severe hop you describe. Old, worn out shocks don't help matters any, but I doubt they are the main cause. Leaf springs and tires can contribute wheel hop, and rear lift blocks can make it worse. I would suggest installing either new springs in the rear or a shackle flip kit to avoid the lift blocks. Install the new tires and try it out, if it still hops you might need a set of traction bars.

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have really bad wheelhop too, and i'm gonna make some traction bars. Sure, Rancho makes a set of bars, but they have bushings at both ends and that's not good for articulation. My plan is to get some DOM tubing (I know a guy who fabricates drag racing chassis) and put a rod end in each end. conect one end to the frame and the other to the axle and it will stop wheelhop.</font color=blue>

7. lew

lew Registered Member

thanks for the tips. I will look into them and get back to you all with the results. I think I may go with the traction bar approach.

thanks again.