Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insanely cool paint on a budget thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 20, 2006.

?

Which type of paint would be more durable/ smooth?

1. Rolling and Tipping

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Rattle Cans

32 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I'm sure this has been posted here before, and its a rediculosly long read, but there is a wealth of info in this thread. It gets good about halfway down the first page. They guy tells how to roll on rustoleum and have a wicked cool paint job for like 50 bucks.

With the techniques used, insanely good paint quality is possible...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just sat down and read alot of this thread.. I thought I would share it. :bow:

thanks,
    James

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Crap that's a long thread. Looks like something to try. I am a big fan of the rustoleum hunter green, and dark hunter green. I'll probably try this on my K5 when the time comes. Very good info, I'm only on page three. . .

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got 'em all beat, $15 for a gallon of tractor paint plus a can of black rustoleum that I had sitting around and a friend who can lay out flames and do gothic/old english lettering for a pack of smokes. :D

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

funny stuff.... :p:

might as well roll and tip it like we do boats.. :haha:

stuff like this is an embarrassment to the autobody business... acrylic enamel, real durable, yeah ok pal.... :haha:

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Don't be hating.. lol. Did you read alot of that thread? It conviced me that would be pretty good paint job, for a non show vehicle.
    thanks,
    James

6. ryoken

My apologies.... Long day..... :o

I know i'm in minority on this.. I just get a little annoyed at this stuff every now and then... I've read posts for years on this board about the preference for cheap, backyard, redneck paintwork and never said a word...

Trail only rig, sure, whatever, knock yourself out.. But even then, the trucks gonna look hella better with a reasonably professional job... Being proud of being cheap is something i just don't get, I have to chuckle at it... I'd rather not do it, save a little and do the job properly...

I could go into this subject extensively, but i wont unless someone wants to get into a debate over it... I'll just leave it at that...

Heck, if you want detailed instruction on how to roll and tip, I'll be glad to write out a post.. I just get a little tired of the "Oh yeah! 24 rattle cans came out sweet!" mentality that is so prevelent on this board... :dunno:

7. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

"sweet" is relative, my friend. Compared to before, the rattle can job probably is sweet. About the link, the dude doesn't claim to do as good a job as a professional. He says it's a great DIY, low buck job, which it is, he makes no claims otherwise. And, what's wrong with cheap? What's a low price for a professionally done job? Bet it's nowhere near $50. How is what he did an embarrassment to the auto-body business? He's not working out of an auto body shop, or sellng his paint jobs to people. He's just a guy with a Charger and a couple VW's. Is my homemade rear shackle an embarrassment to the 4x4 fabrication business? The way i see it, that guys method is what sites like this are all about. A cheaper way to get the results you want.

I don't want to start a debate either, but when someone pooh-pooh's some good tech because a pro job is better, I get a little twisted. Would MOO have called me an embarrasment 'cause my rear shock mounts are made from angle iron, with a welder, in my garage, and not the bent tube cool mount they made?

Oh yeah! I would like more info on the roll & tip you mention.

8. mikey_d05

Not playing devil's advocate or disagreeing, but I'm all about maintenance too. If I took an even halfway decent paint job into the woods it'd require 2x the initial cost in re-work.

I honestly think that for a trail truck my vehicle looks good, and I can touch it up where and when I need to. IMHO the paint and stance make or break a vehicle and there's nothing I love better than a rig that blows you away, but you have to wonder sometimes what the cost-benefit breakdown is.

This is my $20 paint job:
    [​IMG]

After one trip:
    [​IMG]

Now obviously this is a trail only rig but even for the weekend warrior you get lots and lots of pin stripes...I'm with you on the spray bomb issue at times, but certainly you have to base your decision for a working truck's paint job on more than just looks and looks alone.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine are due!..

Glad to see I'm not the only one who paints his work trucks with Rustoleum and a roller! (or even a brush!)..both my 82 K20 and 79 C10 could use a complete paint job,though neither is really THAT ugly..(yet!):rolleyes:

I'd prefer to have a roller or brush painted truck with Rustoleum,versus a truck that has rot holes and crusty floors and frame because it was NEVER painted with anything!..here,you can't let ANY metal stay exposed more than a few days without rust setting in,and once it takes hold,its all over..Preservation is important here..I've seen too many old trucks and muscle cars rot away because the owners said "I'll give it a pisser paint job later,when I get the money"...they should have painted it with a brush,and ANY paint,even latex,would have been better than leaving it as it was..

I painted my 81 G10 Van with Ford Blue tractor and farm enamel..smelled just like Rustoleum to me!..it was cheaper at 22 bucks a gallon though..I splerged and actually used a spray gun,a 20 dollar "job lot" china cheap POS..I think I do better with a roller,I got lots of "curtains"..but the van looked 150% better than it did with paint peeling off like Saran Wrap,and black primer showing thru,and the roof was pure rust!..It still looks decent 7 years later,though the paint lost all its gloss..hasn't rusted much since either,only a few places did...

I've seen some real nice "brush" jobs on old antique trucks the guys used lots of buffing wheels and rubbing compound to remove the brush marks..looks like genuine "old fashioned" Dulux enamel like they had original!...:crazy:

10. ryoken

Yeah, I figured this'd ruffle some feathers, so be it... I stand behind my comments..

Never bashed the guy for his ingenuity, resourcefullness, etc.. Its this propagation of hack work that bothers me. And say what you will, but as a fan of hotrods, trucks, etc for my whole life, its hack work..

Everyone here will get into the most minute discussion on mechanical issues, but are more than willing to roll housepaint on their vehicle... Just doesn't make sense to me, if your gonna take such pride in doing a mechanical aspect the right way, why not have that pride in learning the proper way to perform bodywork and refinishing?

Doing things a less expensive way is fine and I'll cut corners myself, but I would certainly rather have the higher quality if I can.. I don't consider being stingy or miserly a trait to be proud of, sometimes a nescessity, but certainly not something I strive for..

And yes, I understand a trail/work truck can be touched up, etc easier and thats fine.. Defend your rattle can jobs to your hearts content, I just know that amongst all the car/truck nuts I know, we certainly appreciate a well done proper paintjob far more than someone halfassing it with rattlecans..

Thats the ghetto kinda stuff we laugh at.. Sorry if that offends you, but maybe the next time your at the local 7/11 beaming obliviously about how badass your truck is, keep in mind, you may not be impressing everyone...

Flame on....

11. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i like rattle cans. i like the flat paint look.

12. mikey_d05

Eh, my feathers aren't ruffled. Like I said, I think stance and paint make or break a vehicle's looks. I'm just trying to argue that sometimes there are certain merits to low quality work. I fully admit it's hack, but I honestly don't think that you'd turn your nose up at a well built trail truck because it had a shoddy paint job, that's just not what it's built around.

Heart and soul go into the mechanical aspects because that's what gets me through the trail without breaking, I spend little time and money on the paint and body because it gets torn to hell anyways. My truck has three rides on it and one door is gone and the other is barely openable.

I'm not trying to flame you or say that my hick ways are better than a show quality job, just saying that even though it might not look the greatest, off road trucks are generally purpose built and fenders get crushed, paint gets messed up, and major bodywork would be required (for me) after every trail ride if I valued my paint job as much as I would had I built a classic car. Unfortunately for me, I thought wheeling would be cheaper to get into. :doah:

13. ryoken

Sorry Matt, missed your edit....

roll and tip is exactly what you would think.. roll on with a foam roller and follow quickly with a foam brush... the key is the thin paint. Allows it to flow out and be very smooth... sand between coats and can even be buffed at the end...

Decent way to do a boat and suppose you could do a truck, but a fair amount of more work than a sprayed application... Anyone who thinks they may wanna try this, give me a holler for more details when the time comes...

14. ryoken

Understandable Mike... Thats why I tried to make it clear about the trail rig aspect, maybe I didn't.. I'm not trying to put anyone down, just trying to bring a perspective that seems to be lacking around here... For as many trail only trucks here taking a beating, there are daily drivers that spend 75% of the time on the street..

15. mikey_d05

Sorry, my mistake.

Good deal, and if my truck were an occasional wheeler that I was actually gentle on I'd have shelled out for a good quality job...but we all know that doors don't fold themselves. :D

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree it's not a paint job for a show truck, but I do think it's a great and inexpensive alternative to the flat black rattle can special...(yes i'm so sick of the flat black now)

Let's be honest, most of us even considering doing a paint job like that know ourselves very well regarding how and where we wheel. Personally my fenders are cut, I have structural steel for rockers, and am on my 4th set of front fenders...a high dollar paint job makes no sense for me. This guys method has merit in my world, decent looking and not expensive (so when I f**k it up I won't feel that bad...) My truck may spend 75% of the time on the street, but all it takes is 5 minutes off road to ruin sheet metal and paint.

It's not that I don't know better, or that I don't think high dollar body and paint is worth it...I just think it's not worth it if you wheel. For a car I wouldn't even consider it unless i was trying to pretty it up a beater to make a few bucks. :laugh:

Rene

17. ryoken

nah, no mistake... Sometimes I don't get my point across too coherently.. I'm a mechanic, not an author.. :o

And believe me I dig your rig tons, functionality rocks! I just want everyone to have the rig they want and if I can help them get a better paint job, if thats what they want, it makes me happy.. If they're happy with rattle cans or rollers thats fine too.. :wink1:

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Your new avitar is sick!:D

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks, it was time for a change...:crazy:

Rene

20. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I may want to go through that thread this summer. My DD and my tow rig that I bought this year will both need new paint, if it ever stops raining. The trail rig is good to go though. :D

This guy is getting the technique down.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006