Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insert pics: It's really not that hard

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Apr 9, 2006.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I see more and more people around here that can't seem to figure out how to insert pics.. It makes it easier for everybody to help out if they are visible in the thread without having to click each one to see them..

So for those that don't know how here is a quick and simple lesson..

(a) You have the URL to the pic you want to post like this..
    http://www.roughcountry.com/Graphics/Customer-Rides/Large-1986-K5-Blazer.jpg

(b) Copy the URL and click on this little guy at the top of the screen [​IMG] and paste the URL of your pic in there..

(c) Click ok and it will show up like this..
    [​IMG]

It's really that simple :D

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Buy a membership instead of making your problem everyone else's. :D

Rene

3. mudslinger99

I knew that would be among the 1st standard replys, I just didn't expect it to be from you :haha:

It's not about a memebership at all.. I and many others hate clicking on 3 or 4 pics in each thread and waiting for them to load.. If the poster inserts them, then they are there with no clicking and waiting.. It just makes more sense all the way around :D Every other forum I read, 99% of the people insert the pics for the reasons I just stated..

It was a suggestion that might help out more people around here :D

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

It sounds like decent tech advice to me, not a PROBLEM. But maybe we can go back to the old days of the blue and orange, and bash all nonmembers who post anything helpful.:rolleyes:

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm right behind you, despite the fact that I am already a member.

6. tRustyK5

Members don't have to click anything to see an attached pic, which was why I mentioned it. That and the fact you obviously spend enough time here that a membership would be well worth it IMO.

Using attachments is a lot less hassle if you don't have your pic's hosted somewhere, so I can understand why some people use them. Personally I have a bunch in my gallery here as well as several hosting sites so I always embed my pic's.

Rene

7. tRustyK5

Ahhh, the good ol days...:haha: I miss mj's daily tirades against 'memberships'. :rolleyes:

Rene

8. gauder

gauder Banned

A lot of times when I try to just insert an image, it comes up as a red x because sites don't allow remote linking. Eats up their bandwidth.

9. mudslinger99

Here is an example.. In this thread all the pics show up with no clicking :D
    The shop runabout and R and D truck - CK5 Forums

In this thread they don't :rolleyes:
    Ultimate K10 question - CK5 Forums

Now which one is easier to read ? :D

Can you see these pics without clicking on them ?
    Attached Images[​IMG]DSCN0916.JPG (379.6 KB, 0 views)[​IMG]DSCN0914.JPG (365.3 KB, 0 views)[​IMG]DSCN0912.JPG (390.9 KB, 0 views

Either way like I said it was just a suggestion that seemed to make sense to most people that I've heard comment on it.. How many threads do you see people say " I can't see the piics" or "send them to me so I can see them" or " I can't see the pics so I can't help you answer the question" ?

The simple suggestion that I made that requires no extra effort on the part of the poster and would eliminate all those plus it may attract more people to the site.. It seems that I see a lot of post made about voting and this sight slipping further and further to the bottom of the list but nobody makes any real suggestions on how to change it.. The mere repeating vote vote, vote doesn't seem to be the answer, so I made a suggestion that actually might make a difference..

It doesn't hurt to try it and I've already shown how simple it is to do :thumb:

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The Ultimate K10 question post I see all pics without clicking and yes I see those 3 pics that you posted too without clicking on them

11. mudslinger99

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me.. On the other forums when pics are posted like that you have to click on each one to open them..

12. gauder

gauder Banned

I can't see the 3 pics without clicking on them

13. mudslinger99

That seems odd that one can and one can't :confused:

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Some people can see webshot pics on this site where others can't....go figure

15. mudslinger99

So my suggestion still remains a valid one because member or not, the only way for everybody to see the pics and make it simple is to post them like this :D

[​IMG]

16. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks, I was wondering what need to be done to post pictures.:waytogo:

17. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

A good part of the reason I did not renew was because I could not see a lot of the pics. When I did a search, I would find a post, but would just get red x's instead of pics. I thought they where gone because of the change over. [ I'm not bitchin, just being honest]
    My main question is, which method of posting pics would keep them from being lost, or is that impossible?

18. tRustyK5

Attached pic's will generally stick around longer because they're on the site server, hot-linked pic's disappear because people remove pics from their albums, or the hosting site stops allowing remote linking etc etc etc. Remote linking is a bit easier for a short term deal, but in the long term attachments are better.

That being said I usually link from my member gallery here...

Rene

19. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah a lot of old pictures are gone because of the changeover, or when you hotlink them from somewhere the url gets changed or the picture gets deleted by the website owner. With the new software the poster (member only) can attach them to the post and they are permanent. I know the new guys would like to see all the pics that members "attach", but thats part of the benefit of paying for things. Most people talking/complaining about this weren't here when CK5 almost went away because of $$$ issues. Back then most people decided it was worth paying a whole $25 dollars a year to keep it up and running. This has grown into a very large website and that costs Steve money to run. Anyway as mentioned above members can see all the pics without clicking. The pics hosted from the CK5 gallery I believe everybody can see, but then you run into the whole pics turn to red X's with time. I know I change the pictures around in my gallery all the time.

20. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member