Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inside cage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rerun93, Feb 10, 2005.

1. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

i have seen a few of u guys with some nice lookin cages in your rigs. did u make them your self or did u pay someone to do it for u. if u did it your self how hard was it and how much money in them do u think u have. just tryin to get an idea on the price for one. as i would like to have my little boy go wheelin with me but i wont intell i know he is protected real good.
    ty
    ReRuN

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd like to add a second question to this one - has anyone done one inside of a Suburban or other hard top?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This is my cage.

[​IMG]

My buddy and I went in on a bender and stuff together and built this cage and front and rear bumpers so far. To do it right takes a fair amount of time, and the initial investmant for the tools isn't cheap.

The entire cage was built with the hardtop on, then the top was removed for welding. It could have been done slightly different so the welding could have been done without removing the top...

Material cost was about $400 for the cage and two bumpers. The bender, dies set and notcher was another $600 or so...and you'll still need various hand tools and a welding machine.

Rene

4. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

i love that cage. wish i had the fab skill to do my own. i think iam gonna have to find someone to make me one.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There are pics on here somewhere of a Suburban getting a FULL cage (like the entire length!) installed. Really awesome looking and well-done, and probably 400 feet of tubing to do such a large vehicle.

IIRC, the truck was in a yellow epoxy primer since it was still in the buildup phase..... :thinking:

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I did my own.
    [​IMG]

It is a lot like rene's cage (where I got the idea for the rear section) with a little baja type gussets inside the cab (over kill is an understatement)