Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inside hood release broke, how do I open my hood???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GM Man, May 21, 2005.

1. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

This morning I went to "pop" the hood and the inside hood release was just moving freely in my hand. I have no idea on how to get the hood open, does anyone have any ideas that dont include a sawzall?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Unbolt and drop the drivers side inner fender, will make it much easier to reach way up front to grab the mechanism.

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Can't you just pull the grill, then reach up and pull the cable with a pair of vise-grips? That's how I did my '79.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

happened to my bud he pryed the hood a little and got at the latch with a srcew driver, could also try to get at the two bolts that hold the latch down that face you.

5. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Good ideas. When I get off of work today, I'll do that. I wasnt even thinking this morning. Thanks! :waytogo:

6. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

on mine (77 with 91 burb frontend), this is what I did....

Take a larger flat head screwdriver, wrap some wax paper or saran wrap so that that you don't mar the paint, and insert it to create a gap large enough to get a coathanger through.

take a wire coat hanger, stretch it out, then make a small hook at the end, and a light arc to it.

insert it from about middle ways on the driver side front in the gap you created. get the hook behind the latch, then pull it across in a quick motion. The idea is to use the hook to accomplish the same action that the cable does...

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

haha heres something funny. this morning i remember looking at the title of this thread and bein glad that mine wasnt broken. well about 5min ago that pos broke on me too. damn, i guess i have good luck.

im gonna try some of ur guys' ideas

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

great idea, except the upper grille bolts are under the leading edge of the hood. darkshadow is on the right track.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

DITTO, been there, done this, and it works.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Nobody has suggested this, but it sometimes happens on mine. Sometimes the hood release just "moves freely" in my hand too, and it because the latch on the outside gets stuck. Give your hood the fonzerelli tap. Hit it real hard, with both palms, right above where the latch is. Sometimes you have to hit it a bunch repetitively. Then go inside the cab and try the release latch. Continue banging on the hood until the release latch works again. This happens on mine about 1 time out of every 5 I have to open my hood. The fonzerelli tap always works.
    -Harrison

11. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Muddy: That sucks that yours broke as well, but I did laugh about it. Good luck.

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

haha yea believe me i was laughing a bunch too GM, but i got it fixed. i ended up takin off the inner fender and doin it that way. there was sumthin jammed in the mechanism, now it works perfect again, weird. you get urs fixed GM Man?

13. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

I come across this one in a while as a tow truck driver and I've managed to reach up and push or pull the release from underneath with a slim jim