Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inside of muffler falling apart?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

i started my truck up today to go to classes, after it ran for 10-20 secs i heard some noise almost like sand or dirt hitting the rear of the truck. i got out to look and a few feet away from the passenger side exhaust pipe (on a dual exhaust system) on the ground was a chunk of grey metal. the bottom half of it is rounded out, the top half looks broken off of more metal it used to connect to. if you look at it from the 2 the sides, it has a criss-cross of fins and can see through the whole piece through the fins. its really light too. also i found a few more chips on the ground, but this was the biggest. its about 2-3"L, 2"W, 1-1 1/2"H.

Also, about a quarter to half of the broken side looked melted from the exhaust pipe. For the past few weeks my truck has been running crappy. But, the whole drive in to school, it seemed to run better than it has in a month or so... could this have loged in the pipe, melted to it and cut off air flow making it run crappy?

also before, sometimes while driving it would hesitate, making a quick slightly high pitched, almost air compressor noise (hard to describe), and then start going again. About 8 months ago, I was able to diagnose this as my spark plug wires, two were split pretty bad down the side covered in oil. so it was arcing out on the engine. I replaced those back then. It stopped doing that until the past month maybe. But, I recently checked my wires and they looked fine, except the previously split ones were covered in oil. i wiped off the wires and they looked good still, no splits, cracks or nothin. Since i checked them, my truck hasnt had that problem. My point here is, if the passenger side exhaust flow was completely cut off for a sec or so while going 30 mph or more, is it possible this same symptom could result? just a thought, cause i checked what caused the problem before and it seemed fine, and now there's this metal piece coming out of the exhaust.

thanks for any input on what it is, if its something that needs to be fixed, and anything else

thanks again,
    matt

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

sounds like it is the insides of your cat. from what you described it seems to be the honey comb stuff inside.

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

thats what else i thought it might be from, but wasnt sure if a piece that big could make it through the muffler

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

A piece the size you described SHOULD NOT be able to make it through the baffles of a muffler - would maybe make it through a glasspack - but even at that, that's a decent sized chunk to make it through the twists and turns of a tailpipe. Is it at all possible someone tampered with your truck and stuck something in the tailpipe?

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

well what do you have for mufflers?

6. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Concur with the Cat. Stranger things have made it through smaller holes.Would explain the month or longer of runnin rough as it worked itself free. Take the Cat down and gut it with a hanger if you don't have smog inspections that is. It's alitte against the law in those places. In Va you only have to have the housing. Seriously. The law states Catalatic Converter Housing. Cool huh? But take the cat down and just look inside and see if the honeycomb is all messed up.

7. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

as far as someone tampering with it i doubt it, if someone tried jamming it in the end of the exhaust i would think it would come back out before it melted to the pipe. possible, but i doubt it.

as far as the mufflers i didnt buy them, they came on the truck when i got it. they are not oval in shape like a muffler. they actually look more like the size of a glass pack, but instead they are a long rectangular shape. supposedly the whole exhaust was replaced with stainless steel flowmaster pipes, catco cats., and some mufflers (possibly flowmaster, but not sure).

as far as emissions, i dont plan on replacing the cat if thats what it was. i intend to make this a trail only truck within 1-2 years. so i'll prob just get rid of whats left on the inside.

thanks,
    matt

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It definatly sounds like pieces of your Cat. All of the Catco cats I have seen use that Honeycomb material.
    If your mufflers are Flowmasters it would be very easy for them to pass those large chunks of your cat. All there is inside them is some angled solid metal baffles and short pieces of pipe.
    If you have a Cat falling apart you really need to get it off.
    it can plug up your exhaust(as you al ready know) and possibly burn a valve or cause overheating problems.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I'm not disagreeing that it's the internals of the cat (sounds every bit to me like that's what it is), but I have a hard time believing a chunk as big as he mentioned can make it through the muffler above. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif