Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

INSIDE rear side panels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin_willy, Jan 24, 2003.

1. wheelin_willy

wheelin_willy Registered Member

anyone now where to buy INSIDE rear side panels? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Re: rear side panels?

If you're looking for fiberglass, go with Hanneman Fiberglass, if you want steel, JcWhitney sells them, along with other aftermarket truck companies. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Are you talking about the sheet steel of the body, or the interior padded panels?

4. wheelin_willy

im looking for the padded interior panels

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Gotta make 'em yourself. Or else go to a junkyard.

6. dremu

Shane74's right on. I used 1/4" marine ply -- liberally coated with Varathane -- and some vinyl from the local fabric store. Oh, and an ugly hack job with some angle aluminum to match up to the doors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I did it over again, I'd use wood presevative (nasty green stuff) instead of Varathane, and might spend a little more time on the aluminum. OTOH, it worked out well, cheap, and much niver than my evil original ones which were pretty saggy and soggy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Where are you located? Someone nearby may have what you need. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've got a pair of gray factory side panels, with 2 speakers per side, that have a few scratches and small tears. I've also got all the factory brackets that let you fasten them to the side of the truck. But due to the size of the side panels it would be rather expensive to package and ship them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

9. wheelin_willy

thanks for all your help guys.. live in az a little far from co /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I made some plywood ones as well. 1/4" ply absolutely soaked in wood sealer... then covered with vinyl. Pretty easy to make and they look good too. If I had to do it again tho, I would prolly make some out of either thin steel or aluminim... and then I'd herculine or Line-X 'em for protection against the elements. I need that kinda protection... Ive had my hardtop off all winter, lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

J

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Make them, they are easy. Keep in mind all the things you may need them for if you wheel before you do make them.
    I have a opening in the back for spare stuff (belts etc..)
    Other things like Hi-lift, axles, speakers, amp, sub woofer etc. should be considered.
    If you need them, I can take a couple pic's.
    What do you want them for?
    1- keep the stock look
    2- looks & function (mounting gear)
    3- just want to mount speakers
    and so on........

12. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Storm Trooper
    please post em or email to me
    Thanks

13. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've been looking for a nice set of these for two years now. No one makes them, and it seems people like to junk them and the rear seat in most k5's. I say that because almost every K5 I come across in a junkyard, the rear seat and rear interior panels are gone. Good luck, and let us know if you find a source!

BlazerMan

14. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Made mine out of .090 aluminum, then put a snazzy swirl on with a DA sander.... Panels

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used some 1/8" thick ABS plastic...it has the same texture as my trim panels....

16. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Here is mine. Inside rear panels
    I used some 3/8" plywood, cut to fit but left a little room for thin carpet. After they fit good I got some spray adhesive and attached some cheap walmart roll carpet, then stapled the back. It's really hard to tell now with all my stuff mounted. I ran the wiring to the amp and speakers 1st. I also used the finshing caps on the screws. I wish I would have made a couple 5x5 sq. cut outs behind the speakers to hide more stuff but you get the idea. I think it cost me about $50 bucks. Hope this helps.
    Sorry but the Trooper needs a good dusting.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

1) Panels ava thru classic industries....$100 a pop...but they are factory pieces......thhppttt Dremu...

2) Harry...what ya gonna do with those rear panels???? Going to the get together??? If you are i think i'll come on up...

Azblazer /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. dremu

What thhtpppt? I did mine a coupla years back 'fore I knew about Classic. And they look decent and sure as hell won't rot any time soon. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'll make a deal with ya. If you'll stop at ORD on the way and pick up the K5 door that I bought from Stephen, I'll give ya the side panels. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Do you need the mounting brackets too? I can toss them and the screws in a bag. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

So i would assume you will be there for the saturday get together? And yes i can swing by and pick up your door...if its off that 90 i bought the hard top from him....lol.

Azblazer