Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

inside the air filter there is a nother air filter???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MountainMan, Jan 8, 2002.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

Forgive if this is a no brainer, but inside my K&N air filter is another rigid filter that is part of the housing unit. I am thinking my K5 has CA emissions on it? anyone know what this second filter is? or does everyone have it?

THX

MountainMan Johnson
    86 K5

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would think you mite mean the one that is in the OM air filter houseing it's like a PVC filter. But if your like me and have a 14in Crome thing you won't have one of those other filters I hope this help some.

Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it could be the oil breather filter, keeps the oil from getting your air filter dirty when your engine starts getting blowby.

my 2 sentaboz

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Its an emissions deal.Its part of the evaporative emissions control.There is charcoal in that element to trap fuel vapors that come up through the carb.Iv got it on mine.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

My 86 Burben 'had' one of those. I removed it for better air flow. I still passes smog without it. It is a like a charcole canister like thing that is glued to the bottom of the air cleaner. Make sure you remove the air cleaner off the truck before you remove the fiter thing.

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Same here. I had one, but removed it too. I have passed emissions without it.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the last 3 replys hit it. It a emissions deal. Works just like a charcoal canister. It catches the fuel vapors that are left in the intake manifold after the engine is turned off, also catches the vapors from the carb as they escape. When the engine is restarted, it should release the vapors to be burned or "bleeds" the vapors to the real canister, to be burned later.

Removal -should- fail most inspections. The other guys probably passed because it's a visual inspection. Meaning, the inspector only looks to see if everything is intact. They don't remove anything and check operation.
    But
    If the vehicale does fail, they could demand that you reinstall the charcoal filter. So If you do decide to remove it, don't loose it.....

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted