Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inspecting a 73-75 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB602, Mar 1, 2007.

1. SUB602

SUB602 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys,

I am looking at a 73-75 Blazer. I am going to inspect it this weekend to see basically what the truck is worth. I already know about the frame cracking behind the steering gearbox, and some of the rust locations to look for.

My question is: Is there anything else that these blazers have problems with that i can look at when inspecting it?

Thanks, SUB602

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Cracked tops on the back pillars.
    Rusted tailpans, fenders, quarters, rockers
    usual other stuff...

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Body sag, usually indicated by the doors not shutting smoothly. But that can also just mean the hinges are worn. Nothing too unusual.

4. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know if this is what you west-coasters run into, but here's what happens in the Rust Belt.

This is my first Blazer, a '75 K5 I found locally and bought just out of high school. The first picture is just after I bought it. The highlighted section is the part I should have paid more attention to...
    [​IMG]

Then I removed the top and it only got worse...
    [​IMG]

Until it got to the point where it seriously disrupted my once-decent body lines...
    [​IMG]

Make sure you check that area on any Blazer you look at. If the rocker boxes are rotted out (like mine were), the body flexes right there. There's a body mount bushing right there behind where the fender and door meet, make sure you check it and the surrounding metal to make sure it's all there, too.

Needless to say I had to lift up on the door as I shut it or it wouldn't line up or shut all the way. I eventually just removed the doors and just drove around town doorless for a whole summer. Wish I had some pics of that...

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

i know where a clean good condition 74 is in chandler for 2500, solid rockers, good frame, clean interior bla bla 3 owners and has been left in stock condition.

call me if you want info on the owner,

480-228-3218

-shawn

ill be leaving town friday night, and gone over the weekend. if you can call me befor 5 tom.

6. SUB602

SUB602 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a killer deal, but actually i am doing a partial trade for my 95 Chevy x-tra cab 2wd with airbag suspension. If the deal falls thru and i can sell my truck i will get back with you. Thanks

7. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Uh oh... mine does that, the first pic that is. I think there might be a gap all the way down tho not just the bottom

8. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

Yeah :whistle: mine does the sam thing except mine is probally worse I thought for sure that my frame was broke when took the top off how hard are the rocker boxes to replace since I know anything with rocker on it on my truck is gone or very rotted like the 15 inches of rocker panel that was gone on my drivers side that has been replace with some sheet metal well at least now I know whats wrong.

9. SUB602

SUB602 1/2 ton status

Thanks

Thanks guy's i appreciate your help. I just picked up a 75 k-5 Blazer with no drivetrain (engine,trans,transfer case, driveshafts) with minimal rust on the pass. side flooerboard and no cracks at the gearbox for $600.00. Due to your help. Thanks Again!! As soon as i can get my membership up i will post pics. :D

10. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

You can always post them up on photobucket or cardomain or somelpace too ;).

My door has a big gap all the way up the door, it doesnt slant in (a little but not really). There isnt much rust on my truck (surpriosing for being 30 yrs old) so I'm not worried about it

11. SUB602

SUB602 1/2 ton status

i havent checked on how bad the rusted area is but i figure if its not that bad i can just cut out the cancer and weld in a filler plate. The doors seem to be sagging a bit but with a quick look i think its just the hinges. I plan on taking a real close look at that tomorrow.