Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Inspection Laws

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Apr 6, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just got the 'Burb inspected. They took a "dim" view of the piece of pipe I welded in to make the y-pipe clear the front drive shaft. The tech said that he had some good news and some bad. the bad is that there is no way the truck would pass with the "custom" exhaust. The good news is that because its 15 years old, its exempt.

They checked the horn, lights and gas cap and gave me an inspection sticker. What are your inspection laws/rules? Is it this easy everywhere (I know its not, just wondering).

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Buy a car, get one month's worth of insurance and mail in the proof, get the registration in the mail. Never even have to see your rig. If you are outside of the city you don't even have smog testing. AZ is a little different though.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm a licensed inspection agent for the state of PA... my vehicle would fail on about 500 points of the inspection process. There is a lot involved with it here. Basically a full car look over.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No inspections here in SD. :D

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I guess it depends on what station you go too. The one down the road from me only checks registration papers and proof of insurance :D , lucky for me. The rest of them do everthing from just lights, to getting a creeper out and going from front too back.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Lick And Sticks Are Bad News

in my opinon the lick and sticks are doing all people a bad service.:mad: by just poping a sticker on the widow and saying have a great day thats wrong.:frown1: the least thay could do is check the whole vehicle over and thay just might find somthing you missed thats vary bad and ready to go at any time.:thinking: i am a licensed new york inspector and i do the full check over on all vehicles and if needed i get the creeper out and get on the fllor and look it over.:waytogo: yes there is some things that some people look over but the fact is its there for everyones protection.:deal: and if you get in a accident and thay find your vehicle was at falt it could be your butt and the inspectors butt and the shops butt. :ears:

in my state the ruels are simple if it came on it , it has to be there :cool1: . but it doesnt say it has to be functinal:thumb: . and the new 1996-up obd2 computer systems are now full check over for codes and emmisions problems with the state computers.:confused: so now the check engine light has to work and no codes can be present in the system. plus all the system monitors have to be in the complet section. and this means no unhooking the batt or clearing the codes just before the test or you fail:blush: . this is all for upstate tests. the nyc area still has the dyno sniffer test also.

7. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

Also in PA your vehicle has to pass emissions first.

8. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You have the sniffer test in Pittsburgh right? Glad we don't here.

9. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Normally Georgia has reasonablely strong inspection laws (not Kali kazy) but anything over 25 years old is exempt. They did not even want to see my 79 K5....thank god.

10. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

Sniffer on the older models obd on the newer ones. I get an excemption on my 89 sub for mileage. Less than 5000 per year, if I go over I just switch out the speedo/odometer, takes about 15 min.

11. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

here in mass its pretty crappy. they usually check everything over and put it on the sniffer, but my truck is a 79 so i dont have to pass the sniffer thank god. my truck is only lifted about 5 inches and the maximum hight is 4 inches but i have kinda small skinny tires i put on for it

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Glad mine passed...

Yes,MA sucks for their stupid emission tests--I'. glad my diesel and 79 C10 are exempt--only the 95 Contour I just got is the only computerized EFI vehicle I've owned yet!--glad it passed ok with no hassles..I can see how it is a burden owning newer vehicles..

I think inspcetions are a PITA,and its usually no indication of a cars condition,some places do a thourough anal check,others only go thru the motions and pretend to look things over--or let a good customer or friends "slide" if a few minor things arent up too snuff...emission tests are "fudged" all the time,and no air pollution has been reduced due to theese tests if you ask me--

Its just another way for states and the folks who do the tests to cash in..your car is just as likely to snap a ball joint or tie rod end whether its new or old in the crater sized potholes we have now--the only thing the inspection proves is it was good when they "inspected"it--after that,its just a peice of paper stuck to the windsheild--might as well tape 29 bucks there instead--

The main reason I bother to get a sticker at all is to avoid being pulled over--my vehicles are kept in good shape by yours truly,I dont drive them if I know there is a danger of something failing and killing me and my passengers!!

I think I'm more anal than many of the "inspectors" in my area that cant even speak english,--I've seen some real death traps com out of some of those places with a fresh sticker,when in reality they should have been sent to the crusher...makes me cringe when I see them coming the other way! :crazy: