Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

INSPECTION REJECTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fright89, Nov 14, 2001.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

what type of inspection problems do you all have. In Mass its a big pain. I would really like to tint my windows but i know i would be scrapping all that off come inspection time. not shure how high i can go? gutta test that e brake too which i never use so it always binds up during the inspection. you would think i would learn. gutta check that front end. always somthing ther that wont pass. but dont worry we can fix that for you $$$$$. then again if you know somebody that always helps but it still a big scam. Not to mention waisting saturday morning waiting in line with my fingers crossed. anybody know how high i can go in Mass? where do they mesure from, to? thanks

2. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Registered Member

this does not answer your question but I'm curious as to why you have to get an inspection,the only thing ive ever had to do is the smog check.I'm in cal. though,doug

Work is for people who can't fish!<font color=blue>

3. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

I am too originally from CA, and out there the smog check seems to be a big deal to get your vehicle registered. But in some states there is what's known as an inspection which is required for you to be legal every year. Basically they check for vehicle safety standards like lights, tire tread depth, brakes, etc. I live in PA now and we don't have emmissions testing(yet) but you cannot legally drive on the road here without a current inspection sticker. They basically shaft you whatever way they can!

"stupid people are simply alive because it's illegal to kill them..."

84 K5 Blazer 305(for now) many mods coming....including a 350

4. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

once a year, emissions, visual inspection, saftey, wipers, wiper fluid and pump that sprays, up on the dyno to check at speed, front end in the air so they can check it. and a bunch of other anoying stuff. cant remember all the tests but i can look at the compuert readout you get when you are done. the first thing they do when you pull in is take the old inspection sticker off so there is no pleading to leave it on when somthing fails. you just get a big old rejection sticker with a red R on it real easy for the cops to see.

5. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Sorry, don't know the answer to you tint question.

I do know about the rejection sticker though! I went for an inspection last weekend and got my first "big red R" since I've owned this thing (1998). Guy failed me for tie rod (justified) and cracked windshield, which has passed every previous year in the exact condition. I replaced the tie rod end Monday, but need to figure out if insurance will cover the windshield. Mass inspections are a true pain these days.

However I was told the 4wds don't have to go on the dyno for the emissions test, so that may be good.

John

6. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Registered Member

WOW!! I thought smog sucked!!
    thanks for the info ,doug

Work is for people who can't fish!<font color=blue>

7. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

i think the glass covorage in mass is manditory. i have broken alot of glass on my cars and trucks and insurance has always paid. one windshield was so pitted it was a hazzard driving into the sun. would the insurance co. pay for a new one? no way. needless to say it mysterously shattered a few weeks later. they did pay for that.

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

the inspection guys here in texas usually pass you if there are no cracks, holes (like mine) or anything obstructing your view only in the drivers forward field of vision. if it were any other way, there is no way i could pass. Of coarse i cant legally pass anyways cause i dont have cats. its good to know people thats for sure!

9. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

in mass the lift law is 2 inches up or down, here is worcester i don't think that i'll have a problem getting a sticker seeing that i've got one of those big red "R"s , but thats because of my rocker panels, i'm just getting those done after my lift and then i'll go and get a sticker
    high

10. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

in mass It's only two inches up or down? that's horrible. Anybody been pulled over for lift laws?

11. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

NY doesn't have all those stupid laws as long as the emmissions is there they don't care. Most garages get $55 and hour so a $14 inspection is a 5 min looks got to me job. Lift laws? I've seen a monte carlo with a <font color=blue>2 foot<font color=blue> lift

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

12. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

My 86 blazer will never pass any inspection when i redid the motor took all the crap of.

"When you say i drive a fullsize are you calling my wife fat."
    J/K i was bored and made that up i don't even have wife i'am only 17. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by blazentank on 12/03/01 05:29 PM.</FONT></P>

13. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Man, all of those inspections must really suck. I live in Michigan, and we have absolutely NO emissions or inspections. I ran a truck open headers for the entire summer and never even so much as got followed by the cops. And when I went to get some exhaust work done... I just told the guy, "minus the cat please." And it was done...