Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Instal gears in a 10bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Sep 20, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to put gears in a 10bolt? What do you half to do and buy Ive seen where in mags it says like $125 but is that all you need? BTW is there any special tools neaded(including air tools)

Its for the rear

2. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

JUST HAD MY 10 BOLT DONE EVERYTHING NEW EXCEPT THE AXEL SHAFTS THE PARTS WERE 700.00 NEW RING AND PINION ALL NEW BEARINGS NEW EATON POSI UNIT WITH INSTALLATION IT CAME TO 1081.00$$$$ A NEW RING AND PINION WILL BE AROUND 200.00 AND YOU GONNA NEED SOME SPECIAL TOOLS DIAL INDICATOR AIR TOOLS HELP A FRIEND HELPS THIS IS NOT A JOB TO DO IF YOUR NOT A GOOD WRENCH AND SEARCH RANDYS RING AND PINION FOR THING YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU START???? GOOD LUCK

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

What makes this so hard? If there were instruction Im pretty sure I could handle it or some kinnda think I could find on the internet(like instructions)

4. Brian85gmc

Brian85gmc Registered Member

I would do alot of searching.(don't buy the summit video, it is not informitive at all)

You do need a couple of special tools to set backlash and remove/install bearing's.

it's test and go, so be ready to mess up

maybe you should get a couple of ebay sets to practice on.

You may end up paying more this time, but you'll gain the knowledge for next time.(or have your friends pay you to install there's!)

It's NOT easy to learn unless you can get someone who knows what they're doing to show you(your best bet), so if your not ready to mess up, leave it to the pro's.

5. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Go to the autozone website and click on the "alldatadyi" link. I think it's under the service link. You can register your vehicle for about 15 bucks and get instructions to do just about anything. I replaced the rear ring and pinion on my old f250 that way, and got 50K more miles with no trouble before I sold it. They have breakdowns of how to do just about anything there. I have an account for my 84 blazer and haven't used my manuals for years. There is more info there than you can find anywhere else. You will need a feeler guage, a shim spreader, and I'm not sure what else. If you want, email me with your exact axle type and I can email you the instructions. (It even gives part numbers for everything you need)
    Matt

6. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

i had my 10 bolt rebuilt when i blew it out doing a burnout... did the whole thing, new gears, eaton posi- i needed a new carrier cause mine exploded, bearings, shafts, and seals... spent 1350 on the rebuild.... and regret it every day... my suggestion would be to just swap in a 14 bollt ff axle, and not spend any $$$ on the 10 bolt... trust me it'll be cheaper in the long run cause you wont be rebuilding it anytime soon and you wont have to worry about breaking it either... it wont cost that muck more to do the 14 bolt and youll definitely be happier in the long run... plus detroits are cheaper for these axles- around 350... whereas a 10 bolt detroit is a couple hundred more... just my .02 worth but thats what i wish i had done to begin with /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I agree whole heartily! I'd have mine in my truck right now if I had the time to finish looking for the rest of the supplies to change the front to 8 lugs. I just picked up a 14 ff yesterday with 4:10 gears. Looks in good shape, oil was clean, just needs new brakes, perches, atc... The yard gave it to me for 100 If I pulled. Of course I never go to a salvage yard without tools, Jacks, and stands.Damm those things are heavy. I never thought I'd get it on my trailer! For now I have to find an axle shaft for my 10 bolt because I won't have time to finish my 14 bolt install until I'm off for christmas. (I teach) So I have to replace my warped shaft and hope it hangs together for a few more months.It's shaking my fillings out at 65.