Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

instaling a hitch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pow06er, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

when installing a hitch on my '88 k5 is it a good idea to go ahead and lower the gas tank?

I cant seem to get the wrench on the bolt between the frame and gas tank and it pissed me off.

Ive about had it and if i lower the tank do i need to disconnect the filler neck? or anything like that?

i need a recovery point and might need to tow a quad or something light so thats the reason for the hitch

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to drop the tank on mine. I didn't disconnect the filler at first, but it self cured. Just make sure that the tank is near empty before you start.

3. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

There are plates you can get instead of the nuts, or even make some plates up. You will be able to just slide the plate up there and not have to worry about trying to get a wrench up there. The plate wedges itself against the frame. If you do decide to drop the gas tank, make sure it is near empty and I would recommend disconnecting the vent tube and filler tube that way the weight of the gas tank isn't on the hoses. I would try the plates first, should be fairly cheap to get some plates or make them. Good luck.

4. cbbr

Mine had the "plates", I just could not get the front two lined up and started. It was easier to just drop the tank a little.

5. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

If you have the square block plates, take a piece of thin but stiff wire and form a coil. Put the bolt down through the block then thread the bolt into the coil of wire. leave about 18 inches of wire flat then thread the wire through the holes in the frame. it will let you pull the bolts down through the blocks and frame and the hitch at the same time.

then just put a washer and nut on from under the truck.

I installed hitches for uhaul for several years that way, never once had to drop a tank.

6. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

wat keeps the bolts from not spinning inside of the plates?

and im not getting the coil technique i understand pull them through the hole but how do i attach the coil to the bolt?

where can one get these types of plates?

7. cbbr

The plates are flat on one side and the frame keeps them from spinning. I could not get them to line up and get the bolts started without holding them still, although I am sure that some people can. Dropping the tank a little was less frustrating for me.

8. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

Well first the plate is usually a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick(any thickness strong enough not to twist will do)

Usually the plate has a square hole. The bolt has a section that is also square just below the head. (lag bolt I think is the propper name) Some companies offer a hex head hole in the plate and use regular bolts.

Option 3 is tack weld or at least jb weld the bolt to the plate.

Basically keep the bolt from spinning in the plate block by any method you can think of. It does not have to be all that strong, one the nut is started the stress will be pulling down on the bolts head. It will tighten up easily.

Ok the coil wire.

Sorry no pictures but imagine you are making a coil spring out of the thin wire. I sometimes used the bolt itself as a mold as I wrap the wire around it's threads.

Basically you will just thread the bolt into the coil spring of wire and leave a long pigtail to pull it all through the frame. You can buy those coils pre made at most auto parts stores. I don't know the name of them unfortuunately. Its really just thin stiff wire.

much easier to do than explain.

9. darenofears

darenofears Registered Member

just drill a hole in a rectangular piece of steel put the bolt through and weld it
    then install

10. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

i get the way to use the coils but i dont see how by wrapping a coil around a bolt is gonna be able to pull it thru the hole

seems like it will slip right off and

do they make grade 8 lag bolts? and would they sell the plates with the square in them at a hardware store?

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

U-Haul...

I know what they call the "coil" things..."BOLT BUDDY'S " ! I got some given to me at out local U- HAUL store--they use them to guide the bolts onto the frame thru access holes..look like a spring the bolt threads into,with a long "tail" on it!...any place that installs hitches should have them...

I think "carriage head" bolts are the name for the ones with a square shank under the head..If they do make then in grade 8,it will be difficult to find them..I've seen grade 5 ones used on plows at farm stores..I'd just tack weld the bolt to the plate to keep it from spinning--using an impact will usually tighten them even without any welding..

I used some wheel lug studs for bolts I couldn't get at the heads of inside a frame rail--just pounded the splined portion thru the hole in the plate..that kept them from spinning enough so I could tighten them...they are very strong too,at least grade 8...

12. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

im gonna call uhaul tomoro and ask them