Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Install a 72 dash in a newer model?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Jan 18, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You know, if a guy could put a 72 dash in a new model it would have a lot more room for a roll cage etc. I like the flat dash style a little better, of course it would be easier to just fab a new one up, just thinkin.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

With a Sawzall, a MIG and some duct tape, anything is possible. [​IMG] Probably take a pretty good bit of fabrication to make it fit though...

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Man.... you're always thinkin'..!!

I found that after removing my padded dash I had all kinds of room...... just looks kinda bad!

Marv

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You left out bondo...

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My brother has a fellow marine on base with a 66 chevy that is on a blazer frame and sports a 73 to 91 dash..bolted right in.
    I lucked out..the Willy's already has a flat dash [​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That would be cool...just remember that your current VIN tag is on the dash skeleton and would have to find a home on the 72 dash.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

VIN?? Who needs VIN? LOL

Steve - wish we were neighbors - we are going through the same stuff. I need cage/gauges/floor shifter etc.... Probably should just do what Stephen did and be done with it!!

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

8. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

how about making a dash out of a piece of stainless, kinda like the ones that were made for the center console only it would go like a regular dash, when i was working for a truck trailer place we made all kinds of parts out of stainless, if you know somebody that works in a metal shop you could get scrap metal, pay by the pound, if you start with a flat piece and your measurments are accurate, you could get the holes for gauges, radios, heater controls, ect punched out first and then have it bent to fit, use something like weather stripping to go around the edge(stainless will cut like a knife) you would end up with a flat dash that would look nice and you could locate the gauges ect where you wanted, if you know someone in the business that has access to the equipment you could probably get a dash for under 100 bucks, there are probably alot of things i overlooked in thinkin about this but the end product would be really great lookin, just a thought, maybe i got up too early this morning

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Have you looked into drag car dash panels? Take out your dash and build your cage then put on a removeable dash. It could be fastened by Dzus fasteners to the cage. Unless you just like the early dash.

The VIN plate issue that Rene brought up is a good point. You may want to check w/ DOT to see what has to be done to move it. Removing VIN plates was something that came up in an IICAR class that I had taken a few yrs ago. I dont remember exactly what the details were, but there are issues about it.

BTW Steve, The site is flying now! Thanx!

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

That would be cool...just remember that your current VIN tag is on the dash skeleton and would have to find a home on the 72 dash.

<hr></blockquote>

Oooh, colector tags...

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd