Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Install a Cummins?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Aug 9, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would like to install a Cummins diesel into a Suburban for my tow vehicle. I know it has been done. I just wonder how difficult it would be. Anyone have an idea?

Reason being.... hate to say it, but a Cummins will kick a 6.2 or 6.5l butt.

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/035/lP/SV/mh/ND30192.jpg
    looks like it fits

3. four_by_ken

Ok, but.... who did this? You?

Any more information?

Contacts?

Ken H.

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

found that guy on pickuptruck.com, also am currently looking for a link to a board that specializes in cummins swaps as it had some good info but i lost the link when harddrive crashed. U2SLOW may have more as he was all over this subject as well.

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

There's a guy on the TDR who just put one in a ~'71 Sub. www.tdr1.com go to the forums, there is one for swaps.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    My question is how are you going to get the power to the wheels? For the stick guys a dodge NV4500 adapted to a GM transfercase sounds the way. What about the autos. The 2wd dodge (allison?) auto with a divorced 205? Seems pretty long to me. The cummins also weighs quite a bit more than other engines. Custom springs would be needed.
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

i really dont think custom springs will be needed. The Cummins weighs right around 1000-1100 lbs and my 6.2 weighs in around 850. I run rough country springs so I dont think they will sag when I do this swap. If fact, I can jump up and down on the push bumper I have on the front and the truck barely moves more than an inch up and down, and I weigh about 220. However, if you have some really soft and flexy springs or the stock springs, you may have to get springs with a higher rate like RCs or HD springs from another company. I plan on doin this swap sometime in the next two years ( Im still in college, so I dont have the cash now) but when I start the swap Ill be sure to update you guys in case any one else is interested. BTW, Ill be using an NV4500, my current 205 and current 14 bolt and I will hopefully ad a d60 at the same time to handle the power output of the Cummins.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

It seems most guys use the Dodge trannies with Dodge married 205s out of '89-'93 Cummins powered trucks. I don't know much about the autos, other than that it takes a couple grand to get one set up right and the stock torque converter is a weak link. Both the sticks and autos changed w/ the body in '94.

In a pickup, it may be possible to do an Allison, but would take a lot of work. There was a guy on the Dodge site that put one in a 2wd, he used a 4 spd Allison and a 3 spd Brownie auxillary.

A friend of mine had one in an ~85 Military PU, he bought a wrecked '92 and swapped in the whole drivetrain. Was pretty cool, fit well and looked clean. The best motor for swapping is the '96-early '98 12 valve that came with the 5 spd., the 215 horse.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

9. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

After reading your post, I went and looked at an 86 3/4ton Suburban 2x4 that had the swap done about 2 years ago. He pulls a 32' Trailer on a regular basis. Truck was a 6.2 T400 but is now a Cummins/ Allison (4speed I believe) and is very strong with 3.73 gears. He had the swap done in Phoenix, AZ while wintering there and it cost him $4800. Engine and trans was used with 22k on them. Came from a wrecked truck. Has been trouble free and looks good sitting there. He used heavy duty coils (2x) and a new crossmember built from rec. tubing. Nice looking installation. He swears by the swap and said it feels at least 30% stronger and better fuel mileage too. Need pictures, I can take some and post them for you. I thinkl it's a worthy project but not cheap. Have considered a cummins power sub myself for towing. I like the 5 speed approach though. Good luck.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I will prob get shunned for this but,.......... why not use a Powerstroke?? It will run circles around a Cummins. Then theres always the new Duramax, which is supposed to be stronger than the Powerstroke.

Just wondering.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I can talk your ear off about the swap, but I still haven't done the swap, and I still don't have a donor.

The 94-98 12 valve is arguably the best Cummins to use because of the kick-ass Bosch inline pump. The easiest one to use is a 89-93 complete with the tranny and tcase - it's only a Getrag, but the NP205 is on the correct side. A nice pair of D60/D70 axles comes in most of these trucks.

Wheelbase permitting, engine/trans/tcase could be sourced from a 94-98 and a remote NP205 could be used as well - dual 'cases are always a bonus.

I have started looking at medium-duty trucks for a donor since they are are equiped with larger transmissions with more speeds and - in some cases - airbrakes, and have a really nice air compressor on them. The last generation of Ford Cargo cab-overs ran Cummins power in the 5.9L and 8.3L sizes. My buddy drives one of these (5.9L w/air) for work. Its got a reefer-box and he hauls 12 skids of cheese with ease - daily!

I'm sure there's other trucks this size that run the 5.9 Cummins - I just don't have the exposure to know which ones.

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

"why not use a Powerstroke?? It will run circles around a Cummins."

Not my Cummins. One of the beauties of the Cummins is how easy it is to hop them up, especially the '94-early '98s. The Cummins is also a much simpler motor than the Powerstroke, the inline pumps are all mechanical. I test drove a Duramax and wasn't really that impressed, my seat of the pants feeling was proven to me on the strip at the truck fest a couple weeks ago.

Also, the NV4500 can be mated to the 205 w/out too much work.

Pete

13. Pure Insanity

Ok Pete, youve got a modified Cummins, which will make it better. My impression of the Cummins is it will pull a house, up a hill all day long at 60 MPH, but it does the same 60 on flat road also. The Powerstroke will do all the same, but at 80! (in stock form) The Cummins is just not much on speed. (Just my experience w/ them anyway.)

Im not real familiar w/ the Cummins motors, Ive never really liked deisels until the Powerstroke. All I know is I had to test drive a 4 door, fully loaded to the gills, dually, w/ leather, ( dont get much heavier than that )and I took off w/ it in typical deisel fashion,(foot to the floor to make it move) and it came around sideways on me faster than I could comprehend. ( no I didnt wreck it )[​IMG]

My old boss had a 250 SD 4x4 w/ a Powerstroke, lifted w/ 36 inch Swampers. All he did to his was a Hypertech chip, K&N, and a Flowmaster w/ dual tips, and he could smoke the Swampers at will, (w/out powerbreaking) drove 90 everywhere he went and still pulled down 18 MPG!! This thing was a beast!

The Duramax issue is something I have not experienced 1st hand, just what Ive read regarding the HP and Torque values.

14. four_by_ken

I totally disagree. I have friends pulling their trucks with all three diesels.

GM diesels suck.
    Ford are ok.
    Cummins are by far the best.

Ken H.

ANy pictures that can be posted would be great.

Thanks

15. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

If you're serious about diesels, take a look at them after they're torn down. Examine the rods, bearings, cranks, pistons and block. You'll soon learn which one has the most beef in strength. Cummins, hands down the winner. Really want to see which one runs the most miles, look to UPS or Fed Ex. I was in Cummins Northwest awhile back and they had a UPS Cummins torn down due to high mileage. 656k on it and never rebuilt. How worn was it, Cummins mechanic said it was good for another 100k at least. Juries still out on the Duramax, maybe it will show to be a good engine. 6.2 & 6.5's never did for me. Powerstrokes are good but better than a Cummins? Cummins seem far simpler and less parts. Love the KISS principle.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

16. Pure Insanity

I have never seen the inside of any deisel. The only thing Im talking about is shear brute strenght out of the box. I have driven the GM deisels, from the disaster they called an eng in the 80's to the newer turbo motors, but no Duramax. I have also driven the Cummins and the new Powerstrokes. IMO the Powerstrokes will out power the Cummins.

NOW, as far as a simplicity angle, yeah the Cummins may have it, as far as showroom floor power, I think that the Powerstroke takes it.

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Never driven a Powersmoke (joke around here for the Furd guys) but my father in law just bought a 2001 Cummins (aka Dodge) that flat is incredibly powerful. If a Powersmoke is stronger so be it.............his Cummins has more than enough power.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

18. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

"more than enough power"

Is this physicallyt possible? I always thought you could never have enough. I really want new injectors for mine, but gotta fix the K5 too.

Pete

19. mudshovel

mudshovel Registered Member

well i turn wrenches on diesel motors allday everyday and i can tell you that the best motor for pulling is the cummins. It is the easyest diesel to hop up and it will be able to pull houses all lday running 70-75 mph with no promblems. Just slap a banks power pack on there and it takes care of all your promblems not that the motor is weak from the fact. or anything but more power is what we all want so get your pump worked by putting a new plate in it get new and bigger injectors and slap a intercooler and exht. kit on it and pull that blazer anywere you want to go. Power strokes are good motors they can make alot of horsepower but the lack in the tork dept where the cummins has both.

ft. worth tx.

20. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Mine pulls the Blazer real nice around 80-85. Got the 4" turbo-tip exhaust, K&amp;N, and a big plate. Been wantin' the 370 injectors, though.

Pete