Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Install a Cummins?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by four_by_ken, Aug 9, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would like to install a Cummins diesel into a Suburban for my tow vehicle. I know it has been done. I just wonder how difficult it would be. Anyone have an idea?

Reason being.... hate to say it, but a Cummins will kick a 6.2 or 6.5l butt.

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have been researching this becuase I plan on doing this swap in the near future ( if I can find a motor and tranny for a good price ). Ive found out that Cummins makes a conversion kit to swap in the 5.9 6BT motors into an 87 and older chevy pickup. I havent called yet to confirm this nor have I gotten a price for this kit, but its probably well worth it. And you are right, the Cummins is far better than the 6.2 and can be built up to make some outrageous numbers on the dyno such as 1000 + ft lbs of torque and 400 + HP at the rear wheels. Keep in touch if you find out any more info about this swap.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

3. Cbody

Cbody Registered Member

Couple of questions first, what year 'burban, and 2 or 4wd, auto or stick? With those details I'll give a little more detailed info. I'm assuming that this is at least a 3/4ton correct?
    I had one in an '88 crew dually, but that was done back in the days before cummins made the adaptor for the GM trans, so a 727 was used (2 wd). Some crappy pics at
    http://www.kenalbin.com/88chevycummins.html
    Jay

http://kenalbin.com/jay.html

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is a 3/4 ton. 14bolt rear, 454, 400 trans, 208 xfer.
    Doest have to be a Cummins, but that is most common.

Ken H.

5. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

wound i be able to install a cummings into my K5? i have a 6.2 and i my dad has a 5.9 and i love it. Thanks for whatever info

6. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I would also like to know if i could install one in my k5.

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.
    Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

7. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Sheesh... It's a full size GM truck! You can stick darn near anything under the hood of these things! :-D

Personally, I'd go for a CAT under the hood, if I ever replace my 6.2L diesel. It's either that, or a massive rebuild and lots of Gale Banks turbo lovin' for the 6.2L!

Dan Oglesby
    1984 K10 Blazer, 6.2L diesel, 700R4

8. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

Anybody remember the "Four Wheeler" issue where the guy installed a somethingsomethingsomething Cummins in his jeep? What's up with that. Does Cummins make several different "smaller" engines? Hell no this ain't a stewpid kweshtun!

9. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Hey Doublt T, Just go check out Cummins web site, <a target="_blank" href=http://www.cummins.com>www.cummins.com</a>. You'll find they make just about anything diesel, From 2 cilender power generaters, To big massive 12 liter truck engines!!!!

[​IMG]Inline 6's are cool[​IMG]

10. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

Thanks 82, for the info.