Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Install Fuel Pressure Gage... can't stop it from leskin'?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by blazerbones, Apr 8, 2007.

1. blazerbones

blazerbones 1/2 ton status

Hi all. I asked about this in the garage... but I thought maybe it was better here...

I just installed CFM-tech's fuel pressure gage. I now have a leak where the stock fuel inlet line screwes into the CFM tech adapter (the piece that the gage mounts into). I tried original o-ring (it looked good)... small leak. I tried new o-ring... small leak. I tried progressively tightening the line in small incraments... small leak every time.

I just picked up the replacement o-rings at AutoZone... multipack fuel injection o-rings... and tried using the one that matched stock.

The inlet line looks good (double bump flare intact).

Anybody else have this problem??? Any ideas?

2. blazerbones

tbi by the way (90 sub)... and I just examined the o-rings that produced a leak. They have a cut all the way around the Outer Diameter... hmmm.

Maybe I got a bum fitting... I'll try the stock fitting again, and if it works with no leaks... send the CFM tech stuff back...

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Try hooking the fuel line back up without the gauge and adapter and see if it still leaks. I hope you didnt cross thread the throttle body because thats what I did and a tap for that size thread cost me 30 bucks. Also you could try using some teflone tape.

4. blazerbones

It's not leakin' from the throttle body to adapter... it's from the adapter to the inlet line (an o-ring does the sealing there...)

I'll check it with the stock adapter tomorrow if I get a chance to confirm... I think maybe there is a burr in the CFM tech adapter that is damaging the o-rings.

Thanks for the reply.

5. jerbro

jerbro Newbie

I had a similar issue with my 88 TBI when I put the fuel meter on it.

I replaced the o-rings (that were pretty shot in the first place) and the problem went away. Keep in mind that you need to be pretty light on tightening those down. The o-rings should not be crushed. They should just be squeezed a little bit. I know that this is hard to gauge, but I accomplished this by tightening by hand until I couldn't - and then, with two wrenches, tightening it down another 1/2 turn or so. I could have done it a bunch more, but I was fearful of smashing the o-rings. This has worked well for me.

Luck!