Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Install Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Peeetah, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

I was wondering if anybody has any helpful hints in installing a two piece rear main seal. The instructions in my Hayes are straight forward but the task still seems difficult to me. I would hate to install the thing incorrectly (all that work for nothing).

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Wish i could help, but i've only had to replace rear mains in F@rds=).Someone here will help you soon....good luck

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Peetah, I pulled this one off a couple years ago on a Camaro I had. I swapped in a new 350 which ran great, but as soon as I would park there'd be a puddle of oil under the car. As it turned out the shop that did the rebuild didn't install the seal correctly and half of it managed to find it's way in the inspection cover. I bought a new seal (two piece) dropped the pan and I just slide the top half into place first. It wasn't difficult at all and it cured the problem right up.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I always thought that you had to pull the engine or transmission to do the rear main seal. So really, you can do it through the pan? Maybe I'm thinking of the diesel.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Maybe on a one piece. The two piece is just two half circles. All I removed was the pan and the inspection cover. Getting the pan off was a little tight so I undid the engine mounts and with a floor jack I carefully lifted the engine a little by the harmonic balancer. I know this was kind of half-a$$ed but it worked and made the job relatively simple. As for the seal, I oiled it up a bit and I slid it in place. I installed the top piece from the bottom and I slid it over crank, then I just installed the bottom piece. All in all, I probably didn't do it they way you're supposed to, but it worked and it never leaked again.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!