Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Install questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Im planning on putting in a new flexplate this weekend and putting the transmission back in the truck. I noticed the mount on the flexplate is offset, which way does it install?
    Also, I removed the torque convertor. Is there anything I need to do before sliding it back on?

Thanks

AW

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure on the flexplate.

When you install the converter maybe just a bit of tranny fluid on the part that touches the seal. Be sure that it goes all the way in. It works good to spin it by hand and wiggle it up and down while pushing it in. If it's not all of the way in it will smash against the new flexplate when you try to install the transmission. After the transmission is in you will need to pull the converter out just a bit to mate to the flexplate; if not it is probably in wrong.

3. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

What do I line up the slots on the converter output shaft with?

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

While you have the convertor off, why not go ahead and have it flushed out. Any transmission shop in your area should be able to do it for you. Also replace the seal (better safe than sorry). Once you have it flushed, pour two or three quarts into it before you install it so you won't be starting up dry. The flex plate mounts with the offset towards the convertor (three bolts). Gently push on the convertor while rotating until it engages the pump. You should definitly feel it go in when it engages if you do it right. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You had better make sure you get that torque converter back in correct. I have seen several people, who did not know what they where doing, try to put in a new engine or transmission themselves, and burn their transmission out because they did not get the converter back in properly. Unless there there was a good reason, you should have left the torque converter in the transmission because sometimes when a torque converter has been removed, and a transmission is laying on its pan, the transmission pump gears can fall out of position, and torque converter will never go back in properly; until the transmission pump cover has been removed, and the gears are put back into position.

One way of getting the torque converter back in properly is to set the transmission straight up on its tail shaft, and then rotate the converter back in. You should feel about three different clicks as it drops in. Fluid will come out, but this is what happens when somebody removes their torque converter for no good reason.

6. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

The bellhousing of the transmission was cracked. The convertor had to come out to weld it back together.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The bellhousing of the transmission was cracked. The convertor had to come out to weld it back together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that would be a good reason to remove it.