Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installation issues

Discussion in 'Audio' started by HELLBENT DESIGNS, Jan 2, 2006.

1. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

looking to do the stereo install in the 67 gmc. a bit more than a basic system ( 4 amps, multiple active crossovers etc.) the local stereo shops are crap:mad: seems like if you are not a high school kid with moms credit card or doing a high dollar home system you are not worth the time to talk to! i can do the basics such as wiring and mounting stuff but the boxes for subs (JL10w7) are more than i want to deal with:doah:

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Did you have a question? :confused: :D

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Yeah, If you need a box design, just let me know some specs and the room you have to work with.

4. HELLBENT DESIGNS

truck is a 1967 gmc incab gas tank relocated)the sub is a JLw7 10" manual says 1.25 cu. ft. recommended net volume. also mounting depth 8" overall 9.63" grill clearance 2.25" one time i spoke to an installer that said he could fire the sub down and incorporate it into a console? the space i have to work with is about 13" between the bucket seats and the floor up to the floor shifter. the seats touch the rear of cab so only room for amps. ever worked with a downfire sub box? i have no woodworking tools but work with a guy that builds furniture so he could do it thanks :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  5. HELLBENT DESIGNS

any help audio guys?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used too own a 78 C30 crew cab. Anyways there isn't a whole lot of room behind the rear seat. I had a custom box build and 4 10" subs. So I would think you'd be able too have a box behind your seat sence you've relocated the gas tank.

7. HELLBENT DESIGNS

behind the seats are not an option! i am 6'-4" and having the drivers seat touching the back of the cab still leaves me kinda cramped:mad: so if the sub box touches the rear of cab between seats it can't go too far forward cause that will hit my right elbow:(

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What about under the seat ?? Any room there ??

9. HELLBENT DESIGNS

not a real good pic but only maybe 3 inches under seats:doah:

67seats.jpg

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, just a thought.

11. HELLBENT DESIGNS

thanks bro! every idea welcome:waytogo:

12. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

It sounds like your only option for the subwoofer enclosure's location is the center console... am I right? :) Take some rough measurements with a tape measure, some quick math with a calculator remembering to factor in for wood thickness (3/4"mdf preferrable), and you should have a pretty good idea how the box will fit. With 13" between the seats Im sure fitting 1.25 cubes won't be difficult.

Once you've determine the approximate size (and are sure the thing is gonna fit the space), you can decide how fancy you want it. For example, fiberglass boxes are always nice, invert the sub so the motor sticks out, incorporate an arm rest, etc.

Downfire is a possiblility, but Im not sure I see the advantage. Downfiring works good on convertibles and open-air vehicles, but otherwise more traditional mounting wethods usually work better. I guess it would help protect the sub, if that's a concern.

13. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

And, if you're hardcore, there's always the Roof-of-Boom (tm) mounting method:

[​IMG]

:eek1: :D

14. HELLBENT DESIGNS

yup looks like console mount is the best way to go. sitting in the drivers seat a 14" high console would be ok ( 13" for sub and 1" for armrest.) main reason for downfire is to protect the sub (and hide it) i have almost 2ft lengthx13" wide to pick up the airspace needed.

15. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

:haha: :haha: Now, that is one of the funniest pictures I've seen in a while. :haha: :haha: