Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installation of lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kihlj, Nov 19, 2001.

1. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

Wanted to find out how difficult or what is involved in a 4 or 6 in. lift on a 1993 Suburban? I am not familiar with the independent front suspension. Any help would be appreciated.

I know that this is not directly related to K5 but in an indirect way it is. You see this is the guy who will be pulling my K5 out if I happen to get stuck!!

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Depends on if you got a lift kit with a complete subframe or one of the ones you need to put all together. The pre-assembled and welded subframe cuts install time in half and make the suspension less prone to flex and loosening. Rancho makes a good lift, but it's hella expensive. I'd probably recommend a Pro-Comp, though. IFS lifts are more difficult, mainly because of the torsion bars. It's not impossible, just make sure you have the correct tools. You'll need a torsion bar tension reliever from the GM dealer or anywhere else that sells them. Expect an entire day under the truck, maybe even two.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat