Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installation of VintageAir FrontRunner and A/C

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boondocks, May 11, 2005.

1. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

Recently installed a VintageAir FrontRunner accessory drive setup and SureFit A/C conversion.

Except for the missing firewall cover panel and power-steering hose fitting, it went smoothly.

Sure opens up some space and makes installing a new belt on the trail a snap. Look good too!

DVC00271.JPG

DVC00273.JPG

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm going to need to see about a million more pictures please!!!!

:thumb:

I've been thinking about a VintageAir setup for my '72 Burb, but am afraid of both the installation, and the cost. :yikes:

3. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

It is somewhat expensive. For both the FrontRunner and SureFit A/C and new power steering pump and lines I spent about $2700

What aspects do you need more info on. I took pictures before I started, once the old accessories were removed, then once the FrontRunner was installed. I took pictures from the left, right and top.

The only SureFit pictures were the one you saw and there is one of the unit under the dash with the Glovebox still removed (it came out a little dark though).

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm mostly curious to understand what happens under the dash with the stock ventilation system.....the heater core disappears from the firewall too, so presumably that bulk is now stuffed up under the dash somewhere...??

Also, my suspicion is that the ventilation controls are replaced with something aftermarket. I'd be curious to see what kind of levers and switches are needed for the V.A. system and if there's any chance to retrofit them to still work with the factory panel to preserve a stock look.

Finally, the Suburban uses both a front AND rear A/C unit (up over the 3rd row seat)...I have no idea if they offer new "guts" to replace what's in that unit too....

It would be REALLY nice to have a modern dual-zone AC system that works well, but I just haven't spent enough time researching it to understand how the entire package is installed and works.

5. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

In my Blazer the stock controls are used. Although the vacum portion of it is not. The kit comes with new control cables and wiring harness which connect to the same places as stock. A new center A/C vent is provided as the configuration of the rear of it is different for the duct connections.

The unit takes a bit more space higher behind the dash and you end up with a smaller glovebox.

The heater and A/C plumbing, heater valve control cable and A/C clutch wiring all exit out the right hole opened up when you remove the original A/C evaporator. A panel (mine was missing) is provided to cover these holes and seal the plumbing and control cable and wires exiting the firewall.

I know that VintageAir also makes a compact A/C unit that can be trunk-mounted. Maybe there is a way to use both for the 'Burb. I would contact them and ask. The were very friendly and helpful to me.