Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed 4" Tuff Country Lift Yesterday Here are some pointers for those looking to intall the lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Installed 4\" Tuff Country Lift Yesterday Here are some pointers for those looking to intall the lift

Well, on my 76 I finally got tired of one of my 33's getting chew up everytime I backed up so I went and picked up a Tuff Country 4" Lift with rear blocks. I think eventually I'll switch the rear end to 91 springs and a shackle flip. I actually think that if you have the money you might as well do the shackle filp or put in new or different springs. It is about the same amount of work as putting block in and you'd only have to do it one.

I wanted the 3" with 4" rear blocks but bought the 4" because nobody had the 3" in stock. Wow the 4" is actually 5.5" when compared to the original height. I knew my original springs were sagging but Holy Cow Batman! It is a little too tall for my preference. If it was an inch shorter it would look perfect and I could get in and out just right. I hope front will sag a little, or when I put on a heavyduty bumper and winch it will drop a little. Now the rear end seems to be a little lower.

For those of you wondering, it took me about 10 hrs to install. Air tools would cut a hole bunch of time off of this. I still need to replace my brake lines. I'll probably go buy some ProComp extended lines on Mon. or Tues.. I didn't like the look of the brake line extensions Tuff Country provided.

Overall it seems like it rides alot smoother. Now when going down the street I don't get the harsh bumping I used to. It is more of a bounce or jiggle. That may be due to the ProComp ES3000 shocks or the orignal rear springs. I was going to get the RS9000 shocks but wife needs new tires on the Honda. By the way my other shocks were originalls and I could push and pull with almost no resistance.

I still need to get a new stearing arm bracket. How hard is this to change? Is it worth $45 to have someone else put in on?

One more thing. When installing the front springs get some Huge Jackstands or some 6x6 blocks. I thought I had tall jackstands but they were barely tall enough. I was lucky enough to have just enough room to put the new springs in. I had the jacstands up all the way up and the truck sitting on them. I had my axle sitting on the ground with nothing under it. That streached my stock brakelines to the max!!!

When installing the rear springs I had to put the rear axle on jackstands just high enough to pull the 33's off. I then had to nail two 2x4's together to and lift on the front of the overload spring with my 21.5 inch floor jack to barely get enough room to install the rear blocks.

I'm pretty sore today but it is done. Supprising my wife likes it. She actually hated the beast but now think it looks tuff. Go figure.

Well if anyone has any more questions or pointers feel free to fill in.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: Installed 4\" Tuff Country Lift Yesterday Here are some pointers for those looking to intall the lift

<font color=blue>If all the other stuff came off easily, then try removing the steering arm yourself. Use an impact gun to remove the 3 nuts and then find yourself a BFH and start banging on the top off the steering arm (not the bottom) to force out the cone washers. If they dont budge, put the nuts back on and take it to whomever will only charge $45 for labor since thats not a bad price if you cant get the arm off yoruself</font color=blue>

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Installed 4\" Tuff Country Lift Yesterday Here are some pointers for those looking to intall the lift

I just put a 3" TC lift on last weekend and it rides great too. I also got some Rancho RS 9000s and I like them a lot. The front springs on mine weren't that hard to do and I just jacked it up under the frame and in front of the springs by the crossmember and it drooped perfectly. My front end is also a lot higher than the back and its the same amount of lift. I had a 2.5" lift on mine before and this is definately more than .5 of an inch difference. I think TC makes really good kits.

90K5

4. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks guys for that info. All my stuff is sitting in the living room waiting to get installed. The snow started falling here in Tahoe so I have to wait for it to melt, maybe midweek. 90K5 thanks for the part numbers for the Ranchos. I got the 9000's with the dual controller from Partsamerica.com for $300 delivered. Can't wait to get it all together! Or if it keeps snowing I guess I'll just ski!
    Later

Topless73

5. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Lazymon, One more thing. I had a hard time getting to the front passenger shock bolt. My headers and springs were in the way. I had to get a large cresent wrench and lift it up from under the frame with my left hand and grab it on top with my right and then keep trying to get it to fit on the nut. Once it is on use your socket on the other side to remove it.

When putting it back together attach your shock to the top mount only, before putting your spring on. Doing that will give you a little extra room.

6. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Questions for Toad and 90k5

I cant decide between a 3 or 4" TC spring lift. From what you guys are saying it sounds like the rear sits a bit lower, would it be a good Idea for me to get 4" in the back and 3" in the front. Would I need any steering/drivetrain mods with this setup? I have a suburban so Im thinking the rear would sit even lower than you guys. 90K5: Will 33" BFG's fit well beneath your 3" rig? Did you need any steering/drivetrain mods?

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Questions for Toad and 90k5

shum1
    Yes I would reccomend getting a 3" in the front and a 4" in the back. This will even it out a little. Yes, 33s fit with the 3" lift and there is a lot of room up front, I could even squeeze 35s down there if I didn't plan on doing any turning[​IMG] You should get a drop steering arm for the size of the lift in the front. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I will soon. Also the ORD steering brace is in the future...

90K5