Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed a 140 amp,1 wire alternator.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Aug 18, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I just installed a 140 amp alt. as my old one didn't have enough juice to power all my peripherals at once.It was o.k. untill I put in dual 14" electric fans but after it just wasn't doing the job.It went into my 71 Blazer by the way.

I had already converted to a internally regulated setup with the other alt. so it was a snap.I bought the 1 wire alt. from Summit.They test it before it leaves the factory and mine actually puts out 163 amps at highway speeds and 90 amps at idle.I replaced the factory12 gauge wire that was going from the alt. to the battery with 2 gauge welding cable.I just cut to length and soldered on new terminal ends.My votmeter and everything else works just as well now as they did before.

Just wanted to let anybody who was thinking of doing this swap know it is easy.Thanks to the other board members who help with advice before I did the swap.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Sounds nice bob. i may have to do one on mine soon. How hard was it to go to the internally regulated setup?
    Thanks
    Chris

Chris =)
    www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    That was easy too.got an adaptor from Brothers and just pluged them into the existing harnesses.You can make your own by jumping the external regulators wires to each other.It's something like the 1st terminal to the 3rd and the 2nd to the 4th.I'm sure some-one else can tell you the exact proceedure as I'm not sure.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>