Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed a 140 amp alterntor.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Aug 18, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I just installed a 140 amp alt. as my old one didn't have enough juice to power all my peripherals at once.It was o.k. untill I put in dual 14" electric fans but after it just wasn't doing the job.It went into my 71 Blazer by the way.

I had already converted to a internally regulated setup with the other alt. so it was a snap.I bought the 1 wire alt. from Summit.They test it before it leaves the factory and mine actually puts out 163 amps at highway speeds and 90 amps at idle.I replaced the factory12 gauge wire that was going from the alt. to the battery with 2 gauge welding cable.I just cut to length and soldered on new terminal ends.My votmeter and everything else works just as well now as they did before.

Just wanted to let anybody who was thinking of doing this swap know it is easy.Thanks to the other board members who help with advice before I did the swap.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, congrats. I'm looking to do this pretty soon, too. THanks for the vote of confidence!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Is it absolutely necessary to go to a bigger guage wire? I read in one of the offroad mags that it was in order to get the full benefit from one of these hi-amp alternators.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chriswhitley.com>www.chriswhitley.com</a>

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Tex.It all has to do with amps.A wires gauge will determine how many amps it can carry safely.The higher the amps the lower the gauge wire has to be(the lower the gauge,the thicker the wire.)
    here's a chart.

Maximum Ampacity for Copper Wire

Wire Size Copper --AMPS
    14-- 25A
    12-- 30A
    10-- 40A
    8-- 55A
    6-- 75A
    4-- 95A
    2-- 130A
    1-- 150A
    1/0-- 170A
    2/0-- 265A
    4/0-- 360A

Now I prob. over did it with the 2/0 welding cable I used but I know I won't have any problems with the load carrying capabilities of it.Also if I ever decide to install a D/C welder I've already got the cable installed.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chriswhitley.com>www.chriswhitley.com</a>