Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installed balljoints w/o removing steering arm...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, May 23, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I installed new balljoints on the truck today.
    The instructions say to remove the steering arm on the driver's side knuckle, but my 4" lift arm was on there really tight and I couldn't get it off. It was getting late, so I ended up rigging a 5-ton 2-jaw puller to get out the old upper balljoint. I used spacer for the ball jount press and a hammer to get it on.
    I just wanted to let everyone know this is possible...but it's a PITA. If I could have removed the steering arm, it would have much easier.
    BTW, wow those old balljoint as wobbly. I'm sure under road force they moved around quite a bit. I'm sure the truck will drive better now.
    -- Mike

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IT WILL!! TRUST ME! Mine was a handful in traffic before I did mine.

I had the axle out so I stripped it to the knuckles and took it to a shop with the balljoints in hand. $35 later I was in business.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I just changed mine on monday and I didn't remove my 4'' steering arm either. Who needs directions! I changed them both and had my rotors turned in less than 2 hours without having to throw a single wrench! We had a 20ton press to pop them out and the truck was on a lift. God bless friends who work in auto repair shops. All that and I even got my oil changed for only $0 haha I was lucky. BTW my lower ball joint came out in 4 pieces, not good.