Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed camper top lift up glass , ditch that crank up rear window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ccox7, Feb 12, 2003.

1. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

I bought a rear lift up window made for a camper top and installed in place of the crank up rear window.The window I purchased was a 61 x 19 with a 17 deg. radius, it had its own jamb built in and came with 2 gas struts all pre assy and ready to install. It took a lot of cutting on the fiberglass top and was a very dirty job , but in the end the window looks great and is very funtional.Scroll to bottom to see pics or click on these links.
    pic1

pic2
    pic3

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Sound very interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How would you rate the install from 1-10 for how much of a pain in the butt it was? Please try to get some pics up soon, im getting tired of rolling that window up and down

3. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Yes, pics please. The blazer I just bought has no crank mechanism and I'm trying to decide what to do. The prop rod I'm using keeps falling out and letting the window drop. I also like the idea of using a truck tailgate.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Ditto on the pics.....maybe a write up is in your future! I've been wanting to do this for a while......I hate the squeaking, ratteling roll-up window......any specifics on the brand window you used...like where to buy etc....? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I SECOND that! A write up is a Great idea! Alot of K5 owners hate the factory design with a passion and would love to do the conversion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I like the sound of this though I am certain I won't do it, pain in the butt = lazy me. And a truck tailgate on a Blazer looks back because its a lot thinner and sits in a good couple inches. I saw one in the junkyard once it was but ugly. Whenever I finally build my rig the tailgate and cap are goners.

7. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Well , I would have to rate it an 8 on the overall pain in the butt factor...lots of dust.You will need a respirator and eye protection when you do the cutting. The window I bought had a shipping bracket made from aluminum that holds the window together for shipping.I took the shipping bracket off and used that to mark the area to be cut out, which was a little less than the bracket itself.Always better to take off a little than to much at one time in this case.Once I had the rough opening cut out with the use of 3 inch air powered cut-off wheel and a mini air saw ( purchased for 39.00 at local Harbor Freight tools ) it started to look pretty easy actually.I had to basically take out the channel the weatherstrip occupied to get the window to fit.I used #6 stainless screws to hold it in place at the top and some bigger ones on the sides.Used clear RTV sealer around the entire assy to seal out water.One thing to keep in mind is the window needs its own jamb for its support and remember the measurements 61 x 19 which is the glass itself.The overall width was a little wider than that because of the jamb itself.Radius down the sides is important too, I used a 17 degree radius window, they come in 15 , 17 and 20 degree,I will get photos developed very soon,and post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the new info Charles! Did you order your window from somewhere or pick it up locally? If you can pass on the info, they might have a few more buyers. Thanks!!

9. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

I bought it locally at Capital Campers in Baton Rouge La. Their phone number is (225)272-6997 ask for Herschel Allen, he was the counter person who helped me.They have a website too , Capital Campers I am not sure how many of these windows he has left but they should be able to order one if needed.Expect to pay around $190 to $225.00 .The reason I wanted to do this was cost of parts to repair my original crank up window would have been around $175.00 to $200.00 , so I figured I would give this a try.Also the window I purchased had the 2 T-lock handles to secure the rear window,one for left and one for the right with matching keys.I would think the one handle style would rattle more being you would have the rods coming out from the center to each side.I will get the pictures soon,wish i had digital camera.It really looks nice and is easier to open and close.I am going to modify my tailgate a little at the top of it where the window channel was,I am thinking of getting some square tubing that would fill in the gap and weld it up,then install some sort of tailgate protector. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Great! Thanks man!

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Charles:

Another Ck5'er from the B.R. area emerges....where you been hiding bud? We have between 5-6 members registered here from B.R. and met quite a few other K5 owners around town that know about the site but aren't registered. We should all meet up sometime, I talk to the others regularly...I'll P.M. you a contact number and you can give me a holler sometime.

12. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

10/4 on that , I actually live in Metairie. I stay busy with my job ,lots of driving within the state.I would say I am in Baton Rouge at least once a week if not more.Got your PM and replied before I read your post.I drive my 2001 Venture during the week and the Blazer on week-ends.I like LSU sports ,Baseball and Football mostly.The LSU crowd are awesome tailgators,it sure is fun to tailgate all day then go to the night game at Tiger Stadium with 90,000 plus fans.
    I will try to give you a call this week.Also like Nascar, may try to plan a trip to Talladega April 3rd thru the 6th. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Any chance on a picture yet?

Ken H.

14. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Yeah, i'd love to see some pics too. Still kinda confused as to why there would be so much cutting of the top involved....

15. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Working on the pictures, The width of available camper top glass is the main reason for having to cut some of the fiberglass out so that the jamb will fit in the recess.Basically it is all one piece with a shipping bracket attached.I will see about getting the pics this week.I have been using it and it sure is nice to just turn the 2 handles to unlock, pull up on it a little and let the gas struts do the rest. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Come on Charles...inquiring minds want to see!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

We're still waiting. Please /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Re: Installed camper top lift up glass....Pictures Below

Here are the pics finally:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Creation Windows Link

19. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

Pics are up, check them out.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Installed camper top lift up glass....Pictures Below

Hay that came out pretty good! Wish that would work on my truck.