Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installed lift/axles....w/pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudrunner78, Apr 5, 2002.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

well over easter weekend I installed my tuffcountry ez ride 6 inch front springs, 2 inch back springs w/ ORD 4 inch shackle flip. I also installed ORD's front HD shackles, and greasable bushings all around. I have to credit ORD for superior products. I then went ahead and installed my axles, which were a pain in the butt to move by myself, but there on. The front is a welde dana 70 closed knuckle(large knuckle same u-joint as the 60) 4.56 gear w/ 35 spline shaft all around, welded diff. The rear is a standard 14BFF w/ 4.56 and a detroit.
    Heres the pic's
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuq10
    Jesse

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looking good /forums/images/icons/smile.gif now get some pics with the tires on /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. mudrunner78

still don't have tires, or drive shafts, those are the last things I need to buy. Jesse

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Looking good. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what size tires are you getting /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. mudrunner78

looking for 39.5 on either a 15 or 16.5, but to get the project rolling i'll run 38's to 42's. Jesse

7. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

the rear shackles are they just stock painted red? or are they after market?

8. mudrunner78

they are actually chevy orange, but there completely stock. I just painted them for rust prevention and had no other color. Jesse

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Looks good but with 38 do you think you will do any fender trimming ? And be safe get some rubber for that thing /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Your truck looks nice. I performed the 6" lift last fall, but when the weather warms up, I plan on doing the 2" leaf/4" ORD shackle flip in the rear. I'm currently running BDS springs, which I like. At the same time, I'll be swapping my rear 12 and front 10 for the 14bff/dana 60 front. I would be curious to know if you plan on any fender trimming to clear those 39.5's? I planned on running 36's, because I really didn't want to trim my new GM fenders to fit larger tires (yet). I would like to run 38's, but if they hit the fenders, I don't want them. Keep us posted, put up more pictures!

11. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

What's the D70 out of? Sounds like a monster, lets see more pics! I noticed you raised your tie rod with some spacers. I'd be careful because that area sees a lot of stress, especially with some big meats. Let us know how it works out. Looks good so far.

12. mudrunner78

/I will be trimming the fenders. I plan on trying to keep the truck low as possible. Jesse

13. mudrunner78

The 70 is out of a 74 international harvester. I used custom spacers with hemi joints, and custom tie rods. It worked on my old truck w/ 44's. The D70 is a good axle if you don't mind closed knuckle, and so fab work. Its just a tad to big. But alot cheaper than a 60. I custom made disk brake brackets for the willwood 4 piston calipers, and steering arms Jesse

14. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

HEY SOMEONE STOLE YOUR TIRES!!!!

Kidding...

Looks good... I'm doin that tomorrow, the shackle flip, w/a 2 3 inch block though... and the front shackles...

15. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well if it disapears sometime at night just follow the scrape marks to my house /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. mudrunner78

hey good idea maybe insurance will replace them....haha...Yeah I need to get some tires bad but I need money first. Jesse

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yes you will have to trim fenders with 38"s and 6 inch lift, i have 8 inch lift and i rub my 38"s on my fenders pretty easily, it also matters on the width, mine are 15.50 wide, i think if i had 13" wide then i wouldnt rub as much if at all, 39.5"s and 6 inch lift is gonna be some serious fender trimming, Trimmed fenders can look good if you do em right, and cleanly as possible.....

18. mudrunner78

I guess it depends on what you call major trimming, I don't consider the 3 inches of metal major trimming heck I might cut even more.Heck to me wheeling in a fullsize is all about body damage. Jesse