Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed my new KMA "wincher" today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Dec 14, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Installed my new KMA \"wincher\" today

SEC never e-mailed me back, so i bought a "wincher" from KMA (kennesaw mountain accessaries), and almost didnt order because of all the negative comments, not so much on the product, but on the way the whole operation is handled.

well, i emailed kyle on the 27 of nov asking about prices and options and so on. and that i wanted it by the 15th of dec. he emailed me a pic and a list of options, and said that it would be no problem getting it by the 15th. i will say that kyle was VERY quick to respond to my e-mails.

well, to day is the 14th, and its already mounted on the truck. so far i am pleased with the quality of the bumper, but i few things could be different-like the thickness of the steel that actually bolts on to the frame, the way those same pieces seem to be to short for the bolt holes farther in to the chassis, little or no protection for the winch mounting bolts. these are all minor i know, but just little points to be made. one good thing is, that all of these problems can be modified to work (except the steel thickness-which BTW, is strong enough, but i would like it a little thicker) with a little welding here and there.

overall impression thus far is excellent! its a very heavy duty bumper for the money ( 361.00 shipped) and i had it optioned with the d-rings which are HUGE!!!

i will try to post some pics when i get my winch and stuff mounted.

rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. Highliner

Highliner Registered Member

Re: Installed my new KMA \"wincher\" today

I had the same thing happen with SEC. I ordered a KMA wincher and mulitcarrier. Should arrive next week. Kyle took about two weeks to build them and the customer service was great for me also. I'll post what I think of them when they arrive next Wed. or Thurs.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

SEC is down right now. I heard something about an injury or heath problem. I think he's trying to restart in Jan.
    Glad to hear the KMA has corrected their problems. I know Kyle and I told him he was buring his bridges when he was Jerking with Steve. Looks like he has turned things around. Little late but at least he is making an attempt.
    He has helped me make a new tail pan for my truck The boy can weld that's for sure. He showed me a couple tricks that you can do if you got a welder with some HP. I mis measured a part and it was comming up short. He cranked up the welder and did what he call "Spatter welding" Baisicly he turned the wire into a plasma and jumped the 1/4 inch gap and layed this massive perfect looking bead in one shot. The bead was 3/4 of an inch wide on the top. excelent penetrations. Showed me a couple other tricks also. Wish I had some time to hang out at theshop and learn from him.
    I'll talk to him about some of the mods to the mounting that your guys felt would work better next time I see him. Remember there is a point of over kill with metal thickness. You want to build it solid but you don't want it to weigh 500lb either. Idealy you would want the bumper to bend before the frame does. I know my bumper would survive a masive hit but mine is built so ridgid that the frame would take the brunt of an impact. So look at the bumper and and where you think it's going to fail and see if you think it's still to thin.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

As for steel thickness, my bumpers are .125" wall box tubing. Sounds thin but my frame bent after geting rear-ended. My bumper still looks good with a slight curve where it used to be straight. I'd say unless it's the winch mounting point do not get carried away with the thickness! Also any recovery points should go through the bumper and attach to the frame...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

true on the thickness.

hey grim, what i meant on the mounting points is that they arent deep enough to reach the holes that are a little further back. as it is now i can only mount the three that are on the front edge of the chassis. having those others maybe overkill, but if those brackets where another 1" further back it would be perfect. also, let him know that according to warns directions, the slit for the cable to go through needs to be a little bigger. he has the length right, but not quite enough on the width.

i have already received several compliments on it just messing around today.

i will try to get some pics when i get a minute!

later rob

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I also have a KMA. I had to modify the mounting plates. Made um 2" longer. I also welded two gusits vertical at the back bottom of the winch mounting plate to keep the torque flex from the winch to a minimum.
    So far the bumper has done very well, even bashed it on a rock!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am in the process of installing my KMA wincher right now. Its taking me a while (happens when you have no help, and a SORRY selection of drill bits + thick steel!).

At any rate, I have no probs with the length of the mounting plates on the bumper...they go all the way back to the body mount thingies...if there were any longer, I'd want them cut off so approach angle would be better. ;) I got my bump about 3 months ago....wonder why mine is different than your guy's?

I'll put up some pics when I finish the install. Speaking of which, anyone with a KMA have pics up? Lemme know, I wanna see!! =) Maybe some of you guys with the "short" mounting plates can snap a pic of the mounting area itself so I can see what ya'll are talking about. ;)

BTW, any of you guys add supports that run from the bumpers ends to the frame (ala the factory bumper). I am thinking about adding some at some point. Maybe even just rig a way for the factory support brackets to work, I dunno.

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

hmmmm, i have a 3" body lift that i was trying to compensate for, so maybe thats the reason the plates dont go back far enough. i dont have any pics yet, but i should in a week. i will post when im done. it really looks nice with my new winch on there!!

i hear yeah about those side braces. the bumper is pretty thick on the outside, but the leverage could push it in to the body. should be pretty easy to fab up something.

i am also going to fab up some diamond plate to weld/bolt on to the front between the mounts to act as kind of a skid plate and to improve the looks.

later rob

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey guys hear are some pics when I installed my WarnHS9500i http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

clicky no worky

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

link doesnt work for me either. =(

AFA the fit goes...I have a 1" ORD body lift. Seems to fit ok.

Did either of u guys make any kind of support brackets or anything? Ones that would run fron the frame to somewhere near the edges of the bumper? I think the guy at www.off-road.com did, cant remember...might not be a bad idea for when it gets caught on a big tree while backing up! ;)

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

12. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

WEll I'm glad to hear that Kyle has gotten things figured out. I love my KMA Wincher, and I know nobody has anything like it. It took me forever to get my bumpers, and I think he sent them to me just to shut me up. After numerous calls and E-mails. The quality of the front is excellent, and the rear is tough, but very basic. I think someday I'll redo the rear to barn door style swing away's. Until then, I depend on them everytime I go wheeling!

Later,
    Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</a>