Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed My new Steering Gear Box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Dec 18, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I finally got around to installing my new steering gear box, and man WHAT A DIFFERENCE. My truck handles like a new truck off the lot. I bought a brand new (not remanufactured) steering gear box from a company called Corvette Steering. These guys are the only place left in the world (except GM Parts Direct) to purchase a brand new steering gear box, and they only sell them for $325, which is the same price as many companies sell remanufactured boxes. GM Parts Direct sells new boxes for $800.

Here is a link to these guys web site. They are very good about getting parts out in a reasonable time manner. http://www.corvettesteering.com/index.html

2. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I bet it does! I bought a rebuilt from Advanced Auto parts, what a piece of $#&^!!!

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Did it get rid of the loose steering feel commonly associated with our trucks? This sounds like an option I might want take:xmas:

4. 1-ton

I have had a lot of bad experiences with rebuilt steering boxes myself, which is why I went with a new (not remanufactured) steering box to make damn sure I got a good box.

With the old steering gearbox, I would drive down the street in my truck, and be all over the steering wheel trying to keep it going straight down the road, but now it travels straight down the road with out having to hardly think about it.

I think the previous owner hit a curb really hard with my truck, which bent the tie rod adjusting sleeve, crack an aluminum rim, and damaged an already worn out gear box. With this new steering gearbox I have literally replaced everything that has to do with the steering.

I also got rid of my 4" drop drag link, and installed a 2 1/2" drop pitman arm on the new gearbox, with a factory drag link because some people on this site told me that drop drag links suck. I think they are correct because I think this is another item that has helped my truck to handle better.

All I have left to do is take my truck in for an alignment. The old worn out steering box made it completely impossible to align correctly because you need to start the alignment with the gearbox centered, and you cannot get a true center with a worn out steering gearbox.

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where did you happen to find a drop Pitman Arm? I have been looking for one but haven't been able to find anyone that sells them.

6. 1-ton

I got it from these guys...http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/welcome.htm

It is a SkyJacker product with the part # CA50. With shipping and everything it cost me $92. Rocky Mountain shipped it out UPS to me within 24 hours of ordering it, and it got to me in 5 days.