Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed my Speed Bleeders.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jul 2, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I finally got around to installing my new Speed Bleeders. It was an easy install. Only took about 15 minutes, and about another 20 to bleed the brake system. These things are the most efficient way of bleeding brakes I have ever seen. There where a few very good things about these Speed Bleeders.

The thread sealant is a great item on the bleeders because I was having a problem with my front caliper bleeders seeping brake fluid out the threads, when trying to bleed the brake system. The Speed Bleeders thread sealant stopped this problem. Another good thing is that the Speed Bleeders are so efficient at getting nothing but air out of the brake system that I only used about 8-Ounzes of brake fluid to bleed the whole system (front/rear). Normaly I use (waist) about 30-ounzes (or so). Plus, as I was bleeding the brake system, I could feel the peddle getting harder and higher very quickly with each push of the peddle.

The front/rear Speed Bleeders I recieved, plus a bottle of the thread sealant.
    [​IMG]

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

What is the procedure for using these?

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I've got them on my truck too. You just open each one like a normal bleeder and pump the brakes. The air goes out, tighten them up and you're in business.

4. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

how much were they where did you get them

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I got mine at summitracing.com. I don't remember the price. Mine are a different brand, Russell, I think

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool. I had never even heard of those. Of course that's not unusual. A check valve sounds great. Anybody know what sizes to get for Dana 60 front discs and Caddy rears?

7. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Got'em love 'em...

Just bleed like normal, furthest to closest to the master cylinder....gotta get new ones for my Caddie rear calipers...makes bleeding out old fluid easier too....

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

hmmm i may have to look at these again. i had a set of em (diff brand) but they never worked lol.

9. 1-ton

I Got mine from this company http://www.speedbleeder.com/ . They have a patent on their bleeders. I got them for $7 a piece, and the bottle thread sealant was $10. These things are easy to use...just open the bleeder 1/4-turn, and pump the peddle, then close the bleeder. The bleeders have a one-way check ball valve. When you push on the brake peddle, the brake fluid pressure opens the check ball valve...allowing brake fluid to pass out. But when you let up on the brake peddle, the check ball valve closes...keeping air out.

[​IMG]

10. cbbr

What size?

11. 1-ton

The front bleeders for my Dana-60 where 10 X 1.50 (1.350 thousands in. length/part #SB1015), and the rear 14-bolt (drum brake) where 7 X 1.00 (1.380 thousands in. length/part #SB7100). Since I replaced my rear wheel cylinders with new ones, the bleeders where not the original stock size of 8 X 1.25 (1.280 thousands in. length/part #SB8125L).

12. cbbr

Thanks.

13. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

Are the ones from summit just as good, because they are cheaper. Or how bout the ones in the help section at pepboys?

14. 1-ton

I am not sure about the quality difference between the two.

15. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I got the ones at summit and they work just fine.

16. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

any idea what size I'll need for my 78 3/4 ton corp 10 front? how about my 14ff rear? Can you buy speed bleeders at a parts store? It would be kinda nice to just bring the old bleeder screws in for a visual comparison.

17. 1-ton

You can call speed bleeder and ask them. They have a catoloug, with all the factory size bleeder screws for cars and trucks. The only problem that can arrise is if there has been any new or rebuilt calipers and brake cylinders installed on the truck. This is because many times the bleeder screws can be a different size from what the original eqipment came with.

I also asked them about the other companies selling Speed Bleeders, and they said that they hold the patent on them, but the aftermarket performance company Russell has an agreement with them to be a distributor of them. I asked them about the price difference, and they said that Russell does not sell them with the dust caps included, which is why they are a few dollars cheaper.