Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed Remote Solenoid; truck Died!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I bought the remote solenoid from Summit. I installed it today, now my truck won't start. Here is what I did:
    1. unhooked battery, neg and pos. And then screwed the Remote solenoid onto the inner fender near the battery.
    2. then I unhooked the positive terminal on the GM solenoid and connected it to the remote solenoid.
    3. Here is a wierd part. I tried to unscrew the nut that contained the ignition wire on the "S" terminal, but the nut just turned. I could turn it with my hand left and/or right and it just turned. The screw wasn't striped or nothing. That part pissed me off so much, I just cut off the ignition wire.
    4. I then wired the ignition wire to the remote solenoid.
    5. Then I took the big fat red wire and connected one end to the remote solenoid and the other on the positve terminal on the GM solenoid.
    6. then i put the adapter piece that came with the summit kit on the positive terminal on the GM solenoid and to the screw on the "S" terminal over the nut that couldn't spin off. (I assume that the nut can still serve as a conductor).
    7. Then I tightened everything and rehooked the battery.
    8. Tried starting the damn truck and nothing. No lights no nothing. I could still turn on the radio, but don't let that fool you, my radio is liked hooked to the battery. So no memory from it. Anyways, nothing works. No sound.
    I'm assuming the problem is b/c I can't get that damn nut off the "S" terminal. Any ideas? For those who installed theirs from Summit. Please let me know if I did everything right. Tomorrow after work, I'm gonna take the damn starter off and see what the deal is with that nut. Any help appreciated. Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Make sure you got the large battery wire on the left and the large starter wire on the right. The ignition(switch) wire is on the left small post. You should have the main power wire sharing the same large post as the large battery wire. The only wire that should be going to the starter is the large starter wire. If you still have your main power wire (medium size wire) going to the starter, thats your problem. It should be attached to the left side of the solonoid.

[​IMG]

How many small wires did you have on your starter before you did this? Did they all go to one post or were they on different posts?

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

3. Boss

Shawn,
    First of all, great pic, Damn, under your hood must look as good as your truck![​IMG]. Ok, anyways, orinally, I had two wires hooked up to the Pos terminal on the starter. 1 was from the battery, the other, I have no clue, and left it there. It was two red wires spliced together with the round tip.
    Then the other wire was the one on the "S" terminal, which is the ignition wire I think. The only wire I got going on the starter is the red one on the right side or the remote solenoid to the pos term of the GM solenoid. Then I have those two wires (the one I mentioned earlier that is spliced together) on that same Pos terminal on the GM solenoid. On top of those two is that adapter thingy with two holes. I put that on the pos terminal and to the "S" terminal. I do have that ignition wire on the right side of the middle of the remote though. Could that be it? Any ideas on that nut that just rotate and does not tighten or loosen? Thanks.
    Boss

[​IMG]

4. Shawn

You just said your problem. You left the one wire that went to same large post on the starter. You need to remove that wire (the one you didn't have a clue where it went) and move it to the solonoid and have it share the same post as the large battery wire. That should get your power back (lights, stereo, etc). Then try to start it. If it doesn't start then put the small ignition wire on the other small post (like mine). I don't think it's that starter nut but I have had that happen before. You might have to pull on that nut with pliers while you loosen it or just get a dremmel tool and cut it off.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

5. Boss

You're right man! I just thought the same thing when I sent the reply! You da man. This is my plan. Tomorrow take the starter off and trade it in for a new one. Since I have that Life time warranty from Advanced Auto. Should be free. That way I don't have to deal with that damn nut. Also, that wire ( the one I said I had no clue where it came from) isn't long enough. Should I buy a big fat red wire like the one that connects to the starter and the battery while I'm there? Or is that wire too big for it? Thanks again brother. You solved yet another problem to my many problems.
    Boss

[​IMG]

6. Shawn

Now I remember why I mounted my remote solonoid there. That power wire was a little short. If you're sure it won't reach, then you should cut off the round bolt connector and splice it with that thick power wire that came with the remote solonoid (should be 10-12 gauge). Buying that black shielding tubing wouldn't hurt either. Just keep it away from the exhaust. I do think you got that smaller wire on the wrong post though. Good idea on taking the starter back. This way you'll get a new starter!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

7. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

I see I'm a little late on this, but I had the same problem with that "s" nut as you're having, except I had the nut off and cross-threaded it when I went to put it back on. The post sticking out of your soleniod (s) is shaped like a flat disk on the inside and is supposed to interlock with the plastic cap on the solenoid so it doesn't turn. There should be two nuts on that post, one to keep the post tight against the cap ( so it doesn't spin ) and one to hold your wire on . Well I managed to make mine spin around several times and when the starter didn't work I had a good idea where the problem was. If you take the solenoid apart (easy job) you'll find a single bare solid wire tac welded to the flat part of the post ( or where it used to be welded ) I just used a torch and soldered it back on , no problems since.

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"