Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed soft top and visor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Ok hubby installed the visor. He has experience, plus I was busy with the soft top! Notice how much bigger it is than the F*rd in the background to the right /forums/images/icons/smile.gif One of these days I'm gonna play monster truck on those F*rd toys that are hanging around!!
    [​IMG]

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Looks good. I usually catch my share for having a visor out on the trail, but I like them.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You want any Bestop stickers to go with that?

How'd the install go? I had a BLAST doing mine. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Their instructins left a little to be desired. I re-wrote the instal manual for them and sent it off, but I doubt they messed with it /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

My hub says it will get ripped off by a branch. Well, I guess we will find out then! There are so many rigs with them, I don't think it will be much of a problem. I sure do like that my truck looks slightly customized now, too.

5. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the sticker offer but I'll pass. It has the tag on it already and I have a few stickers on my rig already: the CK5 member one, the Jesus Rocks one from Skyjacker, my website url, and a state forest sticker. The install went fine I guess for how many holes had to be drilled! Chalk didn't work for me so I used washable marker instead. I'm not sure that I have the front hoops connected to the top at the right place because the loops that are on it sort of slid down the hoop side a bit. Does that make any sense? I had the old directions that came with it (bought used) and they also sent new ones with the installation kit. The new ones were better, so maybe they did use what you sent??

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Haven't gotten my Jesus Rocks stickers yet, need to call skyjacker and see where they are. Bestop sent me 12 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif stickers for my truck, don't know exactly why, but they did. That was the reason for the offer /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

There's some pics of my installation over at www.c4x4.com. The front loops for the front hoops (sounds like a kids song /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ) should be in the middle of the top but ON the top, not down the sides. There are two extra loops hanging off the sides right by the front loop. Not really sure why they are there, but.....

Did you install the footman loops up high on the bedside? I didn't to start with and couldn't keep the thing tight.

Also, when you are running it with just the back windown up, tuck it inside the top where it raps a little, keeps it from getting beat to death.

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Nice article Kyle. Now you know, I think something isn't right with mine. I did have good opportunity to test it out today - a 3 hour drive in the rain. I did have a leak a the point where it's snapped on the cab, but not too bad. Kids thought it was funny. Before I forget - my Jesus Rocks sticker was here in just a few days and it was all of $2.00 I think after postage. I heard a sermon recently on using what you do best to reach out to others so I thought I could just open that door a little bit by having something on my truck. We'll see! Anyway, I think I don't have that front bow on right. Here's a couple photos that I just took

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help. It is a used top so who knows if something is missing.

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

From what I can see, it looks like you're missing some loops. Here's a pic of the inside of mine, looking up at the front loops and setup,

[​IMG]

You should have 2 loops that are snapable (word?) and two that are not. These should have been sewn in. I also don't see the retaining straps in the back? These are used to keep tension on the top when the sides are up.

How old is the top? I know you said you got it used, was just a little curious.

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Ah... I think I'm misssing the sewn in loops then. I wonder why that is. The top is probably 5 years old or so and was on a '79 Jimmy previously. I do have straps at the rear that go to the footman loops, which I installed at the rear bedside but on the interior for when I put my hard top back on (less to deal with then). I can't run with the back rolled up. Good gosh, I have enough exhaust fumes coming in with the sides and the back down. My dual exhaust runs out the rear but I'm thinking of asking hubby to custom-bend it out the sides. I like the look and sound of my truck but it stinks something awful. I'm not sure I want my little ones breathing that! With the sides up it's ok at least. I guess I should e-mail Bestop to find out about the loops that are missing. I can sew to a certain extent if I need to.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the exhaust. Mine is pretty bad sitting in traffic but once I get moving it's not too bad, and I've only got single exhaust going out the side. It's single 3" with no cat and a 2 chanber flowmaster /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I've had GREAT luck just calling bestop direct at 1-800-845-3567. If I am sounding like a saleman, sorry. My top was kinda a test so they worked with me a LOT when I got it and put it on.

I've put my hardtop on a couple of times now, it's a peice of cake, just don't lose the screws that hold the brackets on /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif like some of us did /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

BTW, are you a member of 4W4C? I've yet to get my money in for the full paid membership, but that should be taken care of in about a week.

Anywho, like the top /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I e-mailed Bestop with a link to my photos. They have been great on the phone. I called them this morning to ask about what they recommend for a vinyl conditioner. Also I'd called to find out what I was missing to install it. We have about 5 months of winter here and it gets pretty harsh. Snow through April most years and it doesn't melt off in between snowfalls! I'll need the hard top then I suppose. I've never heard of 4W4C. Is there a website I can read about? I'd like that.

Thanks again.

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

http://c4x4.com/4w4c/California.html

They have a direct link off of C4x4.com (same guy does them both). One is the club, the other is the mag.

There is some great reading at both sites. I STRONGLY recomend some of the reading. Very inspirational.

They don't have any members in Wisconson yet, so you can be the first /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

If you happen to get caught with a bunch of snow on the softop, I put a halogen shop light in there for about two hours. Melted everything right off so I could get the water off and not worry about tearing the top with peices of ice. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif That was right before I put the hardtop back on, I ws gambling, I lost.