Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

INSTALLED TACH TODAY,Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Mar 10, 2007.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

everything went smooth and it works with no problems. I turned the idle down 600 rpm's.:wink1:

My question is this:the white wire is for the light? I spliced it to the yellow wire on the side of the headlight switch.Haynes manual wiring diagram shows it(being the yellow wire) as the inst.lamps. Am I correct in splicing the white into the yellow for the light on the tach to work?

If the wiring for the tach light(no shift light) is correct,I'm assuming the bulb inside may be burned out.Is it changeable and if so,what size bulb does it take?

the tach is a mini sun pro ll,or something like that.maybe 2.5" dia.

As for the ground,the tach seems to function properly,other than the light issue.The instructions I found online say a good engine ground,yet someone on here recently stated that he ran his to an old speaker mounting point. Is that sufficient?Mounting to the dash instead of the engine.

2. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

As far as ground goes I mounted my black wire to the dash. I have the same tach. I just ran my light wire to the side of the dash light fuse that becomes hot with the head light switch. Hope this helps!!!!

3. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

that's the same as the yellow wire i spliced into.it's hot with the h-light switch on.do you have the instructions for the tach still? I didn't buy mine,it came on another truck. there must be a changeable bulb,then.

4. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

Sorry Jones I don't have the paper work any more. The wiring is correct tough so there probably is a bulb, I'd just try to pull it apart and see.