Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installed the Phoenix Gold this morning.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG][​IMG]Yes, it's messy in the daily driver, I need too clean it out. But anyways, instaled the 4 channel Phoenix Gold amp and the Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6X9's this morning. Everything sounds great. Shut off the inturnal amp in the headunit, running it as a deadhead. Everything is hidden nicely. The Infinity Kappa's fit under the fractory speaker grills with no problem. Everything is crystal clear. I couldn't be happier with the way it sounds.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No comments on my 4 channel amp ?? It's powering Infinity Kappa speakers. (note; both front and rear speaker are 2 ohm. So they sound much better powered off a amp then they did powered by the headunit). I've got the gains kind of turned down, but everything is still alittle louder then what the head unit could do. Louder at 10 now then what the head unit could do at 16.

3. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Looks good. :laugh:

Sounds like you might need a bit of help setting your amplifier gains correctly...? Here's a method described by a buddy of mine from s10forum.com:

1. first, unplug the RCA's to the amp
    2. set the bass and treble on your HU to their flat setting, usually 0. if you have bass boost or anything similar on your HU, turn that off as well.
    3. put in a CD that you have heard a few times. the better you know it, the easier it will be to detect any distortion.
    4. turn up the volume on your HU until your speakers and/or subwoofers begin to distort. now turn down the volume little by little until ALL hints of distortion are gone.
    5. power down and reconnect the rca's to the amp. turn the gain down to 0. if you have a bass boost module or controller, turn this up to max. this allows you to fiddle with the bass boost module or controller without worrying about clipping.
    6. power up and turn the volume back to the level at which your speakers had quit distorting earlier. now turn the gain up on your amplifier until your speakers/subwoofer begin to distort. once the speakers/sub begins to distort, slowly turn it down again until there is no hint of distortion.
    7. if your amp and sub/speakers are new, do NOT start pounding away immediately. give them a few days of moderate listening to allow them to break in.

The post can be viewed here: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2782293&postcount=25

Those steps assume you are running some speakers off the headunit's power (hence him saying to disconnect the RCA's). If all your speakers are amp'd, skip that step. The key is to get your headunit's volume to the right spot before adjusting the gains (what most ppl do wrong). Basically you are looking for your maximum point, so you want to adjust your h/u's volume to the point you wont ever go past. Usually about 80% of max volume on the h/u works well (if your h/u's volume max's at 35, go to about 30). Take note of this volume position, as this is the point you never want to adjust beyond in the future. Once the volume is set, start adjusting your gain knobs and listening for distortion as described above. Once you have that gain position, you probably should not really need to adjust it again (some people do and can, but I usually advise you leave your gain knobs alone once they are set).

Hope that helps.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's all set now. Only took about 2 mins too get everything ballanced/faded correctly. Just had too keep jumping in the drivers seat after each adjustment, LOL. I normally don't drive my amps too thier fullest. I have it set so I can turn up or down the sub depending on the song. Fader is set at 0 so that can be adjusted too sute my mood at the time also. I don't need it too be the loudest system in town, believe me, it can get very loud as it is. I've moved onto sounding clear as well as loud.

5. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Setting your gains properly not only gives you full volume (gets loud), it gives full dynamic range of volume control (generally better sound). I usually like to set my front stage this way, then tweak the gains on the the amps driving the other speakers (rears and sub) to blend the outputs.

Sounds like you have everything under control. :)

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's not maxed out, but it does sound very good. I don't crank it up alot anymore, every once in a while, but I usely run at lower volume level. The amp and Infinity Kappa's really bring out the mids and highs. The vocals are so much clearer now. Very crisp sound now. As I've gotten older, I want more then just booming bass. I like everything too ballance out or blend as you put it. Still love alot of bass, but I don't want it too cover up the mids and highs. What do you think of Phoenix Gold amps ??? I've always thought of Phoenix Gold as high quality.

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I own a couple PG amps. Tantrum 1200.1's for the subs. Im not familiar with your particular amps, but PG has built solid amplifiers for years, so Im sure they're good stuff. :)

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll second that I like PG amps. I had one (can't remember which one) and it sounded great. This was back in mid 90's.