Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing 14bff gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 5, 2004.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I finally got my 4.56 gears for the 14bff and I will be installing them in the next week...But I have a question regaurding the crush sleeve....What is the best way to crush it in order set pinion preload? I have heard of people using impacts and people using a big azz breaker bar...WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS AND WHAT TRICKS HAVE YOU USED?

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Was pretty easy when I did mine. Used a breaker bar and basically hung from the frame with both feet on the bar. Then I just used a swinging motion, pulling with arms(frame) and pushing with legs on bar using all of my weight and motion to do the job, it crushed easily and then I torque'd to specs.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

So you just installed the pinion support in the housing and set up the ring gear on the carrier so the pinion would have something to "push" against? And speking of whihc, what is the spec for the pinion bearing preload and the back lash?

Chris

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So you just installed the pinion support in the housing and set up the ring gear on the carrier so the pinion would have something to "push" against? And speking of whihc, what is the spec for the pinion bearing preload and the back lash?

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe the pinion preload was 35" lbs(inch), i had to buy an inch torque wrench(more excuses to buy new tools)

The backlash was .005-.008 i believe

its been since last october or so you may want another post to confirm or correct. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif