Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a 3-wire O2 sensor in a '91?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91K5, Oct 20, 2001.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Installing a 3-wire O2 sensor in a \'91?

Hey guys,
    A friend of mine is selling me some Autometer gauges, and one of them is a Air/Fuel ratio meter. I emailed autometer's tech support, and they say that I need to purchase this kit which is basically just a setup to a 3 wire o2 sensor. The stock one is a single wire (non-heated which is what the 3 wire is for), and was wondering if anyone could tell me if a 3 wire o2 sensor would fit in the stock bung? Their kit sells for 90 bucks, and I'm buying the gauge for 10, so it seems kinda stupid to spend that much. Im also going to get headers soon, so welding in the bung they include into the stock manifolds would be even more pointless. The only thing the 3 wire does is heat the o2 sensor, so that it starts sending out the signal to the computer and the gauge, it has to reach 600 degrees before it can start doing anything. I was just thinking that maybe if a 3 wire sensor would fit, I could just fabricate a new harness for it. If anyone has a air/fuel ratio meter like this setup with the stock o2 sensor, or adapted to a 3, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Re: Installing a 3-wire O2 sensor in a \'91?

Why do you need an A/F gauge in a '91? Your computer takes care of that stuff for you.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Basically just for eye candy, I'm buying a few gauges from a friend for about 1/5th of what they cost new.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes they will fit, you just have to get the right one. F-body (Firebird/Camaro) of the late 80's or early 90's would be one of the first places I would look for one. (in an auto parts store database)

Never done this before, but I would imagine that the heated 02 sensor wire needs a 12v ignition hot lead to it. Maybe could even run it to one of the accessory plugs on the fuse panel.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?