Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a 350TPI in my 72

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by raptorGTA, Apr 29, 2003.

1. raptorGTA

raptorGTA Registered Member

I would like to hear some ideas or experiances on making the install smoother. The motor is allready in but need wired up and some odds and ends need done. I am looking for ideas like fuel lines, where to mount the computer and how to run the wiring harness and stuff like that. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I did the TPI swap in my 71 Blazer.
    Got the whole thing from www.jimsperformance.com
    but you can get one from a wrecker alot cheaper,but it will come with a few more headaches.

I used my stock blazer tank and just spliced the fuel filter and electric pump in the stock 3/8" fuel line,
    I spliced it in as close to the tank as possible.It ended up on the passengers side frame rail.
    [​IMG]
    I ran a 5/16" hard return line down the drivers frame rail and spliced that into the filler tube.I cut a piece of 2"pipe approx.4-5" long and drilled a hole in it so I could screw in a barbed fitting.I then put J.B. weld on the inside and outside of the 2" tube were I put the barbed fitting to seal it up.
    [​IMG]

The computer ended up behind the glovebox.I took out 3 screws that hold on a cover plate on the computers housing,butted the computer housing up against the back of the glovebox liner and used the 3 screws to screw the computer to the liner.
    [​IMG]

I cut a hole in the passenger side fire wall to feed the wire loom through.
    [​IMG]

I then took off the old intake and put on the new TPI intake and runners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I routed the wire loom to the injectors inbetween the intake and the upper air plenum.This hid most of the wires for a cleaner install.
    [​IMG]
    My system was already setup for no EGR valve,no VATS(vehicle anti-theft system),and I believe the tourque converter lockup controls were taken out of the ECM(chip).

I used a throttle cable from a 91-92 Chevy Camaro IROC.It's a little long but it works with a little modification to the sheet metal at the firewall.
    The HEI needs to be replaced by a computer controlled unit(no vacume advance on it)The computer will controll the spark curve.

My convertion cost me approx.$1900.00 total and about 2 weeks of my time(off and on).
    I have not had any issues with the stock gas tank and fuel starvation in the 3 years I've been running my TPI.

here it is installed minus the K+N air filter.
    [​IMG]

You will need to read alot and familiarize(spelling) yourself with fuel injection systems as well.

Hope this helps some /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Bobk, really appreciate the pics! I've been collecting parts from here and there for about 2 years. After I get the drivetrain mods and roll cage done I'll start running fuel line. LOL! Now that JB weld thing got me really concerned cause you probably wouldnt notice a leak until you have a fireball started. Couldnt you solder or braze the fitting to make it permanent? Even though the connecter is screwed in, JB Weld is not good for shearing loads...

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I'm not worried about shearing.There is the wieght of the rubber line on it and that's it.It's screwed in pretty tight as well.I just wanted a sealant that was impervious to gas.
    I'm sure I could have brazed or soldered,I just chose the J.B. Weld,it was easier /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It still looks the same today as it did when I 1st made it.