Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a body lift right now. Need help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hello:

I'm currently installing my 2" body lift along with new Energy Suspension bushings. I already replaced everything on one side first, but I need to solve this in order to continue with the other side.

My question is about the rearmost mount. The instructions tell you to discard the bracket that holds the bumber bracket and the factory bushing. I already unbolted it, but how do I remove it from inside the frame without dropping the fuel tank?

And finally, how do I align the body once the bushings are in place and ready to tighten everything? This same rearmost mount is not correctly aligned. I know I still have one side to go, but would like to know in advance how to move the body on top of the frame if I only have two jacks.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Psycic powers my boy. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Remove the bolt. The bumper brackets that bolt to the side of the frame are also bolted to the retaining bracket that holds the inner bushing. Once that inner bracket is loose you can fish the bushing out over the top edge of the gas tank.
    The next part takes holding your tounge just right. I found twitching the tip agains your right ear lobe works about the best. The bracket is "L" shapped. Get the bend of the "L" pointing up dirrectly below the hole for the bolt. Take a few long 3/8's extensions and line it up on the bracket and hammer it flat. Once you get it folded flat you will be able to worm it out between the tank and the frame. BE VERY CARFULL not to mess up the tail light wiring harness back there on the driverside.
    With the rear bumper off there is a gap in the end of the frame that you can work through.
    Or you could just continue using the original bottom bushing in those locations. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim!

I'm going out right now to continue. I'll try hammering that part down flat.

I'm going to concentrate hard when I'm doing this so you can read my mind and give me advice via telepathy /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Well, I gave up trying to make those brackets fit through those little holes. I decided that since those urethane bushings are supposed to last another 30 years, I'd do it the right way.

So there I am removing the rear bumper and dropping the fuel tank all by myself. Then I stumbled with a seized bolt on the mount's bushing. Can you believe I partially jacked up the Blazer from that bolt using some extensions, and it wouldn't move. I had to use lots of WD40 and the BFH method to remove it.

So now I'm ready to install the new bushings and tighten everything back, right? Guess what? The f@#$% bolts that came with the body lift kit are not long enough!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Only 1" longer than the factory ones and my kit is 2". /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I triple checked all the bolts and these were the longest of all, but still not long enough.

I had to leave my fuel tank supported by 3 jacks, and I don't think I have time to replace these bolts until next weekend.

Well, thanks for the help, Grim. I'll use your psychic powers some other time soon.

Later.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Thats about like me...I had to use an air chisel on 2 of mine, the bolts were rusted to the sleeve that runs through the bushing.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

WD40.....Pissing on it is more effective LOL.
    Get some PB Blaster. IF anything is going to work it will be PB. Save the WD40 for drying out your distributor cap...that's what it's best for and getting tar off your rocker pannels. The WD40 Stands for Water Displacment 40 attempt.
    http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html
    http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html
    If you notice they say it "penetrates"...so does water. WD is about 5% more effective than water.