Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a cam Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 68 Suburban, Oct 31, 2002.

1. 68 Suburban

68 Suburban Registered Member

I am looking to put a new cam in my burb while the engine is still in the turck. Any advise how I should go about this? Should I drop the oil pan completely or is there some other alternative. What ever it is, I don't want to have puddling in my driveway after I am done /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Here is an article I wrote on that subject. Hope it helps.

Cam change

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Great article Sandman /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 68 Suburban

That is a great article, but I am looking for a little more info on what to do with the oil pan and timing cover. I hear that is the tricky part. Any personal advixe from people?

5. Sandman

You can leave the oil pan on. There are two bolts that come up from the bottom into the timing cover that need to be removed. That might be the tricky part. Also putting the timing cover back on with the rubber seal to the oil pan can get tricky. What I did was cut the ears off of the rubber gasket and lube it good with silicon and it should be good.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Those two bolts you are talking about are only on a big block. The small blocks dont have those.

7. 68 Suburban

So can the cam on a small block still be changed with out dropping the oil pan? Thanks

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I dont see why not. The only difference that I know of on a BB and SB is that on a BB the pan has two bolts into the timing cover and the SB's bolts are all into the block.

9. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Cut the inner rim down on the timing cover. Cut 3/16 inch of the inner ear at a 45 degree angle on each side and it will slip right back in and you don't have to try to put silly-cone on a rubber gasket.

The answer to your cam question is yes, you can change it without taking off the oil pan. All you have to do is remove the accessories from the front of the engine, take off the balancer, waterpump, timing cover, take out the radiator, grill, intake manifold, valve covers, rocker arms, push rods, lifters, three bolts from the cam gear, remove the timing chain, use a gear puller and remove the crank gear (assuming you are going to put a new chain on...which is smart), and find a long bolt (about 6 inches) that is the same thread as the bolts you took out of the front of the cam and put the bolt in the cam for a handle and carefully remove the cam.

When you insatl it make sure you take note of the above note I made to a reply and that will help you install the cover.

John

10. chevyracing

Oh yeah, don't put the new seal in the timing cover until the timing cover is installed, that will give you room to drop the cover into the top of the oil pan.

John

11. Sandman

Thanks. I forgot about that one.

12. Sandman

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Bad idea... Don't cut the ears off of the gasket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. Thanks.

13. 68 Suburban

Thanks for all the advice.
    Oh yeah, don't put the new seal in the timing cover until the timing cover is installed, that will give you room to drop the cover into the top of the oil pan.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I assume there is room to install the gasket once it drops down on the oil pan? Also, when making that 45 degree angle cut on the ears of the timing cover, I assume that the cuts would be lkt this " \ / " and not like this " / \ "? Also, when you do it this way, you do not use any silicone?

Cut the inner rim down on the timing cover. Cut 3/16 inch of the inner ear at a 45 degree angle on each side and it will slip right back in and you don't have to try to put silly-cone on a rubber gasket.

[/ QUOTE ] I just want to make sure that these are two seperate procedures. 1-Cut down the iner rim that goes towards the oil pan. 2- Cut a 45 degree angle cut on the ears of the timing chain cover. Am I understanding this right?
    Thanks

14. chevyracing

I just want to make sure that these are two seperate procedures. 1-Cut down the iner rim that goes towards the oil pan. 2- Cut a 45 degree angle cut on the ears of the timing chain cover. Am I understanding this right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the same procedure. The timing cover has a grove in it where the rubber gasket goes. What I meant is you cut the grove that is on the inside, towards the block/oilpan. When you try to put the cover back on with out this proceedure you will most certainly have to drop the pan a little because the ends of the grove will not go in between the block and oil pan.

I will go out to my gargae and see if I can find a timing cover and do one so you can see what I am talking about. I will post a picture of the cover with one side done and one side not done. Let it warm up out side a bit, it is only 16 degrees right now. I will try to do this today.

John

15. chevyracing

Sandman,
    Bad choice of words on my part. I should have said the time I tried that it leaked, maybe I did it wrong. I am going to delete that post.

John

16. Sandman

Oh I see. I was just looking for things you have seen with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. chevyracing

I tore my garage apart and can not find a timing cover anywhere except on some engines I have. I will continue the search.

John

18. 68 Suburban

Thanks for your help. Let us know if you find a cover /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif