Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a chip in my 95 tahoe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Jan 19, 2004.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

It says to put the chip behing the glovebox. Do I just take the glovebox out? Or can i get to it form the back?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You have to remove the glovebox. Then it's pretty easy to see the ECM. It's not so easy to get your hands in there to remove the screws holding the ECM to the bottom of the dash. Once you have the ECM removed, just remove a couple of screws to access the PROM chip and you're nearly finished. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Be sure that you disconnect the battery BEFORE you begin! And double, even triple-check that you insert the new PROM so that it is oriented the same way as the old one. There's a notch in one end to designate where pin 1 is. If you insert it backwards you'll get a small, brief smoke show when you reconnect the power, as the chip burns itself to smithereens. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yes take the glove box out and the ecu box is held in with clips. I have a HyperTech stage 2 chip in mine but idk if yours is a 95 do you have the vortech motor or just tbi? b/c its in a different spot on the vortechs or at least i think so but mabey not. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. atlantak-5er

Mine is not a vortec. Its the last year for the TBI motor. I have a jet stage II chip.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to double check so I dont fry my chip!

Did you guys notice a big power increase? I'll let you know how mine is tomorrow.

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I will be interested to hear your results as I have a dog of a 95 Yukon that is my daily driver.

6. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

Vortecs don't have chips, you have to flash the ECU with a Hypertech Power Programmer 3 or similar.
    Some of the late '95s got the Vortec 350s, but the vast majority were TBI.

I had a HyperCrap stage I in my Yukon and it ran like crap. I got it used though for $25, so who am I to complain? Oh, and BTW, get used to filling up with premium fuel, because you'll kill your engine pretty quick on 87 octane.

7. atlantak-5er

Well just installed the jet stage II. T-stat to go in tomorrow. The results are impressive. My brother has a 96 4 door tahoe; stock w/ the vortec motor. Before, he would pull me from the get go and continue to pull away.

I have a k&n filter and Flowmaster 3" in and 2 2.5" out exhaust system, every thing else is stock. Now with the chip installed, we were nearly dead even. I actually started pulling away around 50-60 mph, but we ran out of road.

At idle, it runs just as smooth as stock. Of the line it feels the same until it gets to about 2,500 rpm or so, and it begins to pull a good bit harded than it did. Seem like it added little or no torque but added a good bit or High RPM Horsepower (i'd say 30hp). On the highway on my way to work is where I noticed the biggest difference. It gains speed much quicker and with less of a struggle.

Overall, I am happy considering I paid $159.00 for the chip at JEGS and everywhere else wanted $215.00 or more. It took me about 30 min. to install it but I broke the lower hinge tabs off my dang glovebox when trying to remove it, so that will probably cost me $50-60 bucks. For those of you who do this in the future, take the limiting strap off the glovebox door and let it come down and it should slide out when the door is about 120 dergees open!