Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a Lock-Right locker in the front of a corporate 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

(Sorry if this appears twice, but I did not see my first posting)I was wondering if anyone on the list had any experience with installing a Lock-Right unit in a gm 10 bolt (preferably front) and what advice they have. I installed one in my 14 bolt FF rear and it was a piece of cake. The one for the front looks very different and it comes with shims and hardened cross shaft which the 14 bolt didn't need (it had bearing adjusters). It cautions that tolerances have to be pretty close in order for this sucker to work, and I want to get it right the first time, so any help would be appreciated.

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I put an EZ locker in my old 44 front. The install should be the same. Depending on which gears you have, you may not have to remove the carrier from the axle. If you do, just pay attention to where the shims are and put them back in the same place. As for the Lock right, I've helped put a couple in Jeeps and they're fairly easy, just follow the directions.

Depending on how hard you use the truck, you're probably better off saving your money up for a 60. Yes, they are high dollar but in my opinion are worth it. If you decide to keep the 10 bolt, carry spare shafts (prefferably assembled), U-joints, hubs, seals, and grease. On my '83 there was room behind the interior trim panel on the passenger side to mount the spare shaft to the wall.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I don't think you will have any problems. I had one in my 10bolt rear then stepped up to a 12 bolt and installed one in that. I took the one out of the 10bolt I wasn't using anymore and installed it into the 10bolt front just as easily as all of them

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro