Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a Lock Right

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Aug 1, 2005.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

So I feel kind of silly asking this having already completely dissambled my D-60, but I'm going to get a lock right for it and I'm wondering...

Currently I have 4.10 gears, I'm going to 4.56, so does the lock right replace the carrier like a detroit does? And if it doesn't do I have to buy a 4.56 carrier? and then gears, and then the lock right?

:1zhelp:

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Lock Right does not replace the carrier. Fits inside the stock carrier. You should be able to just buy the ring and pinion set with an install kit and be good to go.

3. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

So a lockright is a lunchbox type locker and can be installed w/o having to reset up your gears? (as long as you aren't changing r&p)

4. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, where can I find the best price on one? :doah: The carrier is out anyway, might as well :crazy:

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Your a real SOB, you know that! :haha:

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah its the same. I changed the carrrier when I went from 3:73 to 5:13 and used the same lock right (Well, mines a powertrax but same thing.)

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I think the best prices on the Lock Rights I've seen are at summit racing. and less than $10 for S/H. :waytogo: And yes no need to touch the ring and pinion when installing!! :laugh:

8. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Well aware thank you! :D

So I thought there was a carrier split at 4.10? Does the install kit have the correct carrier for the gears? Maybe I just don't know what the hell a carrier is :doah:

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yes it does split at 4.10, so when you go to 4.56's you will need a new carrier. No, the install kits don't have carriers, you will either have to buy another carrier, or use a spacing ring (unless that won't work with a lockrite). Install kits have new bearings, marking compound etc depending on the "level" of the kit you buy. A master install kit will have everything you need for changing the gears over, minus the carrier, traction aid, and gears. I think what they are sayin is: the lockrite you will get for the 4.10 carrier, will still work for the 4.56 carrier as well. At least that's what I'm getting out of it.. since I don't have any experience with a lockrite.

Here is a pic of an open D60 carrier, just so we're clear. :wink1:
    [​IMG]