Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a rearview mirror from a Tahoe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Jul 22, 2006.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I've done several searches on this topic but haven't had much luck on finding out what I want to know. I've been wanting a compass in my Blazer for some time and have come to the realization that the cheapo suction cup compasses don't work too well due to the large amounts of steel in our rigs and also look tacky to boot. Have any of you gotten an auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and thermometer from a tahoe or later model truck in the junkyard and installed it in your K5? Is this possible and if so what connections do I have to make for this to work?

Thanks so much for the help,

Wes

2. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad took the "overhead console" out of a dodge minivan and put it in his truck. Curved the plastic of it to fit the headliner, covered it in headliner material, and mounted the temp sender in the front of his truck.

Can't recall if it has a compass, but I believe it does. Also has the map lights.

If looking for something like you mention, I'd probably widen my view to all vehicles out there, and find the most functional and aesthetically pleasing to you.

4. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna hit the junkyards tomorrow and see what I can scrounge up. I know if I get a mirror with the temp function then I'm gonna have to acquire the temperature probe so hopefully that wont be a problem.

-Wes