Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a Snorkle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SlyDog, Nov 21, 2001.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey, I am going to being making/installing a snorkle outta pvc and want to know what all is involved ? I think I am going to point the intake of the snorkle at the top backwards so it won't suck up any dust in the desert, would pointing it backwards cause any problems ?? Thanks ! ... and if you have any pics of yours or ideas please post them !

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think they face forward for forced air, like an iduction hood, maybe you could use some sort of filter, I dunno maybe I'm just nuts[​IMG] remember its always entirly possible that anything I say is completely false[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Haha, yea I was thinking about the forced air, that'd be nice ... I heard this one guy put a coffee filter over the opening for a filter ... [​IMG] Keep 'em coming !

GO BUSH

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Get hold of Mike(Thumper).......he made his own and could probably help you out!!!!

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Already pm'd him [​IMG]

GO BUSH

6. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I wonder if pointing it backwards would suck in more dust than having it forward? Unless you're following someone close, then it might not matter anyway. Like when your tailgate is down goin' down the highway and your eyes start to water fromt the exhaugst! I don't know, just thinkin'...[​IMG]

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I built mine out of 4 in PVC pipe. Bought everything at your local hardware store. To make it fir on the stock air breather I I used a 4 in to 3 in rubber converter for PVC pipe. I took it all and ran it out the front of the radiator support. At that point I put a female PVC connector on and on a seperate piece of PVC put a male end and a 90 deg turn and more PVC. When you don't want it on there you unscrew it, when you want it on there you screw it on. Its all sealed with black rubber sealant. You can see my pic of it at......Well...if Mudzer would put up the pics............

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

8. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

Maybe I'm missing something but why do you need a snorkle in the desert?
    Scott

OOOPS....I THINK I JUST RAN OVER YOUR JEEP THING!!!!!

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

hahahaha yeah dog is it for those flash floods to play in[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

10. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I am bored, and in case I ever cross any deep water, sometimes out in the desert here you have to make some river crossing's to get to the trails. We have had to turn around too many times do to slightly higher than average streems so just wanna be prepared [​IMG]

GO BUSH

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

at slow speeds backwards is fine. at faster speeds it can create a a bit of a vacume. enough to nottice? i dont know. depends on the size of PVC you use. i put mine foreward. if you keep going foreward in the sand and move your intake foreward on te snorkle then you should be fine on the sand deal

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It will work fine. My buddy has the scoop on his boat mounted backwards so water doesnt get in and it works fine. He has a 427 in his jet boat and doesnt hurt performance either way, but the scoop doesnt stick over the back seat. And there is water here in AZ in the winter and spring. My buddy hydrolocked his jeep last april. He has 8" of lift and 33 s on and still sunk it. I know its a jeep but proves the point.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I used PVC for mine. I went from the stock air cleaner housing and plastic tube, thru a sewer pipe adapter from 4" down to 3" PVC, then straight out thru the fender and a 90 degree back to the windshield, a 60 degree up a bit, then a custom propane torch bend to the vertical, then a 90 and aimed back. I had it aimed forward, but I found that for any water that you hit on the hiway or gravel roads, would splash right up and go into the snorkel. I didnt notice any difference in performance between forward and backward, and as for dust getting in... I used the stock cleaner and filter in it so it doenst matter. If you checked out my site, those are about the best pics I have of it. It cost me around 30.00 to do, unless you count the fender! Also, I kinda messed up... I planned all this out, cut the hole, built the snorkel, all before I tried to close the hood. [​IMG] I then realized that the hood hinges were right where the tube went... this necessitated a change to the hyd. lift supports on the hood, so I guess it kinda turned out cool.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

14. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Thanks Thumper and everyone else !

GO BUSH