Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing a sunroof..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 15, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i bought this sunroof for 50 bucks a while ago but NO ONE will put it in cuase its not new/purchased from them...SO..im ganan put it in..i think! never done anything liek ti befor but i cant bieleve no one can put this fricken thing in...so i was wondering if anyone has any idea how to do this or any tips for me. the thing im worried about is getting the hole the right size..i dont know how else ot do it besides trace it with marker and cut the whole. i REALLY dont wanna cut a whole in my roof when ive never doen this but there is just no one that will put this in!

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I personally dont think installing a sunroof in our generation of trucks is a good idea. If you have ever seen how much the roofs flex on these trucks you would feel the same way. I bet it would shatter the first time you took the truck off road.

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I agree with the flex of the cab your gona have problems unless you take the glass out. I asked some people about this and they didn't recomend it

Oy yea [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Sunroofs suck a**!!!!!!!!!

I have one and have had nothing but trouble. It leaks, broken the pivot rivet on the lever twice and had to lay down silicone around the seal to get the darn thing to seal.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i wanna try it..i dont mind having to seal it or anything like that..and i dont do any major wheeling...just mudding mostly..i dont get twisted up much at all.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pretty much everyone I've ever known that installed an aftermarket sunroof eventually ended up with lots of leaks and moldy carpet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you like your truck, don't do it. You may want to now, but when the time comes that it starts leaking (and it will, guaranteed) you are going to likely have to cut a larger hole, because the previous sunroof maker will probably be out of business (as I understand it, no standard sizes for sunroofs, and most makers seem to be fly by night), and you won't be able to get new gaskets.

Had a car that had one, and it leaked like a sieve. Would have cost something upwards of $500 to have it replaced by a respected shop. I scrapped the car.

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont mind having to seal it or anything like that

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't mind wet seats, and having someone pour a bucket of cold water in your lap and on your head every time you stop or turn when it's raining, sunroofs are for you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

new gaskets as in the rubber peice that goes around the border of the window? seems like you would be able to come up with one at least custom made someplace..or i would probobly find some kind of way to seal it up..silicon or something..i just dont see how they can be quite as bad as you guys say..

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i just dont see how they can be quite as bad as you guys say..

[/ QUOTE ]
    Install the sunroof, then check back in with an update at the end of the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Install the sunroof, then check back in with an update at the end of the summer

[/ QUOTE ]

Better yet, check back in after your first big NY snow of the upcoming winter. I'll cast another vote for 'don't do it'. This is an install that leaks when PROFESSIONALS do it, imagine how it will leak after a novice with a sawzall tackles it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dont plan on having carpet anyways..its going to be all rhino liner and ill just throw a cover over the seat..there you go..as long as the sheet medal around it didnt get to rotted or anything..which i dont think would happen..becuase its on the roof..its not like its down wear salt gets to it.. i think i could manage leaks..i dunno, maybe im being stuburn but im pretty stuck on the idea.

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    as long as the sheet medal around it didnt get to rotted or anything..which i dont think would happen..becuase its on the roof..its not like its down wear salt gets to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Water causes rust. Salt exacerbates the problem. Don't you think puddling water in the corners causes rust?

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm a tell'in ya, don't do it. I loved my K5 cause of the sunroof, but the first major roadtrip you take and your a** is wet the whole way cause it rained the night before and the sunroof leaked, you will regret your decision.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Factory sunroof vehicles (at least GM one's I've taken apart) have channels that drain water that leaked through the outer seal (even GM knew it would happen) and also drain tubes that run through the vehicles pillars to drain under the car.

These things were *integral* with the body, installed before it was all welded together, so you know GM didn't think it wouldn't be a problem.

15. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i've got a moon roof on mine...used to leak pretty bad, but i sealed it up with silicone and it's ok now. i hated it before i sealed it...now, it's kinda nice to have.

if you need any pics of mine let me know. (pm me)

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that would be cool thnx!!