Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing a tilt wheel in a 78K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I have a chance to get a used tilt wheel to replace my stock wheel in my 78K5. It's an auto. I don't have cruise control. My question is this...Can I use a tilt wheel out of a 76 chevy truck as a replacement unit? Will I be able to use the stock harness in the 76 column...will it plug into my 78(turn signal, gear selector, starter switch)? Any info will help.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

2. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

they are different, I'm not sure what is different about them. Go to the shop talk on www.empiresteering.com and ask there. The owner will get right back to you. He has answered questions i have had quickly

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You can even swap in a tilt column out of a car, I have done it. I used a tilt from a 74 Impala in my 76 K10. Gotta love GM! Just try that on a Ford!

The only diff is that the main column harness is on the wrong side and you can get around that simply by popping it loose from the clip and point it the right way. As long as you don't cross the line where the dimmer moved to the turn signal, you should be ok. Even then it's not that big a deal. I'm no expert so I can't say when it changed but the years you mention should be no problem.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't know of any differences in earlier columns. 73-82. wiper switch on dash. direct bolt in. the only difference I have come across is the spline size at the steering box, by the rag joint. just use the upper half of column. I just put a column from an 82 into my 73.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!